• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dealer Sale Conversion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

My daughters roommate purchased a car from a dealership, while trading in her old vehicle approximately 1 month ago. She called the dealership today to make a payment and they advised her she needed to find a cosigner or she needed to bring the car back, and that they'd sold her trade in. I've done some google searches, but have not been able to find the laws on the timing. How long does a VA dealership have to notify a buyer of the need to convert the sale? Are they actually allowed to convert it once she has signed all the contracts?

Is it possible she signed something at the time of purchase that gave them the right to do this? Is there a standard form they would have slipped in there giving them this right?

From what little I've been able to find, it doesn't appear a dealer can convert the sale at this point, but I want to at least point her in the right direction and what to look for in her paperwork.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">