• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dealer sent auto payoff to wrong bank

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lancer_dancer01

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ND
I live in North Dakota. I recently traded in my car on another used vehicle. I gave the dealership the wrong bank for my payoff. The bank I told them was for my wifes car. The salesman called the bank and the bank told them and they had no record of the car on file, obviously because I told them the wrong bank. The sales manager pulled a credit report and saw that there was two auto loans in my name and took the payoff amount from the bank that I told him. He never called the bank to verify that the car loan was through that bank. We did all the paperwork with the payoff amount for my wifes car and the dealership sent the payoff for my wifes car, which we didn't trade in. I noticed that my car I traded in had a late fee because they have not received a payment. I called the dealership and they sent the payoff to my wifes bank so her car is payed off but the car I traded in is still in my name and not payed off. I called the dealership to tell them the mistake and they want me to pay the $3000 difference. However the contract I signed was for the other payoff amount and I am not going to pay the $3000 difference because I feel the dealership should have verified the payoff amount with the bank and I would not have payed $3000 up front to purchase the vehicle. The dealership has since sold the vehicle I traded in, but the title is still in my name because it was never payed off. What are my options

OHRoadwarrior

Pay what you owe. Refinance your wife's car and pay the money back. Ask the bank holding the note on your wife's car to return the payment. Get sued.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">