• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dealer wants more $ or Jeep back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LisaYC

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New York

My lease matured on my car on 4/22. On 4/16 I went to the same place I leased from twice before. I was given the name of a person to contact there by the finance company with whom I had my previous car who's lease was maturing. I explained my financial situation and how I could not afford more than $400 a month and could not put much $ down on a new lease. I explained that my reason for coming in was to finance the remainder of the amount owed on my current car.The sales person convinced me to go into a new lease for a Jeep at $407 a month with $750 down. He told me that I would be better off selling my car on my own because it would not help me with my new lease.I left that day with the new Jeep. The finance dept. told me they would call me the following Monday to arrange for a day/time for me to come in and sign the paper work seeing as the banks were already closed. Since I was not told that any of this was contingent on approval from the finance company, I sold my car on 4/19. On 4/25 the finance dept finally contacted me and told me I have to put an addtl $5k down on the Jeep in order to get the lease approved or return the jeep. Now I don't have the money to put down, nor do I have my old car to go back and do what I initially wanted to do which was to finance the amount owed on my old car. Is this legal? What, if anything, are my rights? or what should I be asking the sales person/dealer for? HELP... I'm running out of time...

Last edited:

matti422

What did you get in writing before you drove the Jeep off the lot?

Why (why, oh, why) would you take possession of a car and sell your other one BEFORE the final paperwork was complete. This is how dealers screw people over.

Best bet is to go back with the Jeep, hand them the keys and say "sorry, this isn't what I agreed to". IF they don't have your signature yet, agreeing to take the Jeep at those prices, then you don't have to give them any money.

This happened to me with a car, but I had the final paperwork before they demanded more money. The dealer got to pound sand.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">