• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dealer Wants To Void New Auto Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JDslo

What is the name of your state? California

I just bought a new truck, but now I'm having problems with the dealer over the contract. See, I was buying it under the "A-plan", which is a special employee discount through my uncle, who works for the manufacturer. He gave me a pin # to give the dealer that they use to get the discount from the company. I called a dealer who had the model I was looking for and told them that I would be buying it with an employee discount through my uncle. I signed the contract in San Diego and I drove the truck back to San Luis Obispo, which is where I currently live. A few days later, the dealership calls me and tells me that they ran the pin # that morning and the maker was telling them that I didn't qualify for the A-plan because they changed their policy to only extend the discount to immediate relatives of the employee. Now, keep in mind that it would have taken them 2 minutes to run the pin # while I was in their office and we could have all found this out then. Now they want me to sign a new contract for a price of $1000 dollars more, as if it's no big deal. Needless to say, I'm not very happy about that. The dealer is telling me that it's my fault for not knowing which plan I qualified for. I feel that -- by giving the dealer the pin # and telling them several times that the discount would be through my uncle -- I provided them with sufficient information to know what price they could give me. If the dealer didn't know that I wouldn't qualify for the price with that information, how was I supposed to know otherwise after being told that the pin # was for that particular discount? Since the dealer told me over the phone to make sure to bring the pin # with me the day I came in to buy the car, it would stand to reason that they would enter it into the computer before printing up the contracts. Why they didn't check it out first is a mystery to me, but it doesn't seem right for them to now be voiding the contract.

Can the dealer really void the original contract in this case and make me sign a new one? I would really appreciate any advice as to what my rights are in this stuation.

Thanks very much in advance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">