• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dealer will not return cash deposit for used auto

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

OakRidge

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN

I recently tried to purchase a used auto. The run around lasted the entire day. During the signing we found out everything said by the salesman was a lie, including a warranty. They insisted we get insurance and take the auto home. The financing was contingent upon us returning some tax documents. We have already signed the papers to buy the vehicle, but did not turn in the requested documents. The next morning we left the vehicle at the dealer and called the finance company to make sure the loan was not approved. I also canceled the insurance. Last night upon returning home, I see the vehicle sitting in the street in front of my house. We called the police who stated it was a civil matter. We called the dealer and told them again that we could not produce the documents they needed for financing and it would not be approved and also that the insurance was canceled and they hung up on us. After another call to the dealership, the owner of the dealership came to pick up the vehicle and could not find the keys. He had to call to see what the salesman did with them and it turned out they were in our mailbox. He apologized but when we asked about our deposit back, he said he would only be willing to apply it to another vehicle. I don't want to do business there. Can I get the deposit back?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">