• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dealer wont register leased vehicle.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

thinkbig

What is the name of your state? Vermont

A Ford dealership refuses to register my vehicle. It was leased on 6/30/03.

They claim that I owe them money from a previous lease (which has nothing to do with the new lease) and they wont register the vehicle until it is paid. The temporary registration which came with the vehicle expired on August 31. Permanent registration fees of $65 are clearly added on the lease papers.

Upon leasing the new Vehicle they were aware that I was over the mileage on my previous lease which was returned to them on 6/30. Instead of working the mileage fees into the new deal which I requested, they told me “that in about 60 days I would receive a bill from Ford and that I can work it out with them.” The deal I made included a $1000 cash rebate from the dealership, and I owed one more payment of $457 to Ford Credit for the previous vehicle. They said they would pay off the last payment from the $1000 and send me the difference. The mileage from the last lease had nothing to do with the new deal.

Around mid August (six weeks after leasing the new vehicle) the Ford dealership discovered that Ford Credit would not fund them for the new vehicle until the mileage fees were paid, and without consulting me they paid it themselves so they could get funded. Instead of receiving the difference from the $1000 I received a bill for approx. $2300 which was about $200 more than the mileage fees minus the $1000 dealership rebate. They claim that the $200 difference is interest.

My our contract says absolutely nothing about owing them any fees for this vehicle. Instead of letting me walk out, they lied about the mileage fees to close the deal. I made it clear that I couldn’t pay the mileage fees upfront and was ready to walk out. I could have extended my old lease.

I offered to make monthly payments, but they refuse to register until they receive the full amount.

I Haven't driven the vehicle since 8/31 (the day the temp registration expired). This has effected my business and caused much inconvenience (not to mention the hours spent on trying to get it registered). It is also causing credit issues as I can't see making payments to Ford Credit for a car I can't legally drive. I am also paying insurance on the vehicle for no reason.

If I can't get it registered I'm not interested in keeping it.

What are my legal options? Are they voiding the lease contract by not registering the vehicle? Is there possibility of sueing either the Dealership or Ford Credit?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">