• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dealership changing contract after paperwork signed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

flweep

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? wisconsin
In wisconsin I purchased a used car from a dealership. I told them what I was willing to pay for the vehical and that I also had a trade in. We haggled a long time on the price and somewhere inbetween they also quoted my trade value. After a long back and forth they took my final offer in on the used vehical. It was declined. I was leaving at that point and they decide to work my numbers differently to come out with my orginal price by discounting an added option. I signed paperwork that shows all the numbers including:
the dealership price
the dealership vehical discounted price
tax,title,etc
my trade value subtracted
cash down payment subtracted
final loan price i.e. the money that I needed to finance

One week later I signed near identical paperwork( i decided to put a bit more cash down) and happily drove off in my new car. Now one day later they call me and say they screwed up and the trade was discounted twice by mistake and that I need to come in , sign new paperwork where I pay 4K more???? Is this legal for them to do? Can they make me give back my new car or worse, pay 4 thousand more for a car I already have in my posession??What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

cosine

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? wisconsin
In wisconsin I purchased a used car from a dealership. I told them what I was willing to pay for the vehical and that I also had a trade in. We haggled a long time on the price and somewhere inbetween they also quoted my trade value. After a long back and forth they took my final offer in on the used vehical. It was declined. I was leaving at that point and they decide to work my numbers differently to come out with my orginal price by discounting an added option. I signed paperwork that shows all the numbers including:
the dealership price
the dealership vehical discounted price
tax,title,etc
my trade value subtracted
cash down payment subtracted
final loan price i.e. the money that I needed to finance

One week later I signed near identical paperwork( i decided to put a bit more cash down) and happily drove off in my new car. Now one day later they call me and say they screwed up and the trade was discounted twice by mistake and that I need to come in , sign new paperwork where I pay 4K more???? Is this legal for them to do? Can they make me give back my new car or worse, pay 4 thousand more for a car I already have in my posession??What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Asking you to sign new paperwork that overrides the old paperwork is legal. it would be voluntary on your part if you chose to do so. I don't see why you would, though. You could ask them to sign new paperwork that calculates the discount three times. Do you think they would then sign that paperwork? I bet they would not.

If they had a legal means to make you give the car back or pay more for it, why wouldn't they just use that?

I wouldn't be signing any new/replacement paperwork. A deal is a deal. If they try to take me to court on that, I'd be screaming "bait and switch scam" and reporting them. In fact, I might even if they didn't take me to court, just because they are trying to get me to go back on an agreed price.

Be diligent. Make notarized copies of the paperwork you now have, and be on the watch for anything shady, such as loan payment demands that differ from the agreement, attempts to go through collections, and fraudulent items placed on your credit report.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If the dealership is unable to obtain financing on your behalf, you will have to return the vehicle. Read the fine print.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">