• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dealership demanding money for payoff quote?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nimskit

California is my state.

Ok so I traded in my perfectly fine car for a new model, and my boyfriend got them down to a really good deal after 3-4 hours. They claimed they'd give me 0% APR for the entire life of my loan, and my payments would be $380, with no money down. They never checked my payoff quote, although I got it that day and told them the exact amount. They never looked at my trade-in (it wasn't even there when they offered me value for it) They told me my credit score was 730, even though I had checked it that day and it read 700 to me. But I wasn't going to refuse it, I just found it sketchy, but I signed the papers, drove off, all was well.

A week later, they call me and leave a message saying they forgot to have me sign one paper. They did this to me last time too, but I completely forgot. I go in, and ACTUALLY they tell me I have to pay $500 down or the whole deal is off because their lender didn't accept it. They pointed out the portion of the contract that says they can cancel if they cant find a lender to accept the deal they offered. They also raised my APR and wanted cash down, and wanted to raise my monthly payments to nearly $500.

I was hesitant (since I didn't love the car 100% anyway, but I was tired at this point) and I guess that scared them because they didn't raise the monthly payments, did raise my APR to 3 or 4 %, and pressed me for a $500 check. Suspiciously, but just wanting to be DONE with them, I gave them a check. I ALSO informed them that the BRAND NEW 2015 car was scratched along the sides and above the wheel well (not me since I hadn't even been driving to work in it) They said they'd buff it out and give me free gas on my 3 month oil change. Thanks, I guess.

Flash forward to now ( 5 weeks later) and my salesman calls me again, telling me that I need to pay $322 because the payoff they paid my old lender was that amount over what they expected, and they want me to pay that balance off. (But I gave them the exact number for the payoff that very day) I told them hotly, that that was surprising since my old lender wrote me a $14 check for over paying. At the time I thought it was linked to my interest payments, so I didn't think much of it. The salesperson said- "Um, really? This is very embarrassing for me to have to call clients to have them pay for these things, I've never done it before, I'll see what we can do for you, and call you back."

My boyfriend and my coworkers say don't pay it and threaten to get a lawyer, since that's on them, and I technically shouldn't have paid them the $500 in the first place. What do you guys think? I am NEVER using this dealer again.

Last edited:

ShyCat

I'll only comment on this:

They told me my credit score was 730, even though I had checked it that day and it read 700 to me. But I wasn't going to refuse it, I just found it sketchy, but I signed the papers, drove off, all was well.
There are multiple credit scoring systems out there that are industry-specific, with varying emphasis and scoring on different aspects of a consumer's credit history. The credit score pulled by a car dealership is very likely to be different from one pulled by a mortgage company or a credit card company, and all different from a credit score made available to a consumer. Nothing sketchy about it at all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">