• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dealership issue with junkyard motor HELP!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stimpy774

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

Okay so long story short.
Jiffy lube did not put any oil back in my jeep.
I drove back after 6 minutes and they admitted it was their fault.
They opened an insurance claim to replace the seized motor.
The dealership charged $7,400 for a junkyard motor and install.
They offered an extended warranty to cover the motor as it was the same
miles as my original motor with 95k miles. I accpeted at $300 out of pocket.
When I picked it up the service tech said we got the warranty worked into the $7400
so you dont owe anything out of pocket.

8 month and 8k miles later the junkyard motor has died. no compression on cylinder 6.

The dealer is acting they will make things right possibly getting the junkyard to give them another motor.

I am fearful they will try to charge me at some point. When i told the service tech I am so glad I got the extended warranty he replied
unfortunately its not stated in the paperwork but dont worry i spoke with my boss and he knows the situation.
I said so you never changed the paperwork to state the extended warranty was included? he said no it wasn't changed.

if they try to charge me or come back with some crazy bill what options do I have? would a lawyer be able to help me resolve this?
I feel I need representation because these people lie about everything. If so what kind of lawyer would be best?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

Okay so long story short.
Jiffy lube did not put any oil back in my jeep.
I drove back after 6 minutes and they admitted it was their fault.
They opened an insurance claim to replace the seized motor.
The dealership charged $7,400 for a junkyard motor and install.
They offered an extended warranty to cover the motor as it was the same
miles as my original motor with 95k miles. I accpeted at $300 out of pocket.
When I picked it up the service tech said we got the warranty worked into the $7400
so you dont owe anything out of pocket.

8 month and 8k miles later the junkyard motor has died. no compression on cylinder 6.

The dealer is acting they will make things right possibly getting the junkyard to give them another motor.

I am fearful they will try to charge me at some point. When i told the service tech I am so glad I got the extended warranty he replied
unfortunately its not stated in the paperwork but dont worry i spoke with my boss and he knows the situation.
I said so you never changed the paperwork to state the extended warranty was included? he said no it wasn't changed.

if they try to charge me or come back with some crazy bill what options do I have? would a lawyer be able to help me resolve this?
I feel I need representation because these people lie about everything. If so what kind of lawyer would be best?
You're concerns, while valid, are premature. If they try to charge you, then come back here. I would suggest that you have the dealership amend the paperwork to reflect the warranty.

stimpy774

You're concerns, while valid, are premature. If they try to charge you, then come back here. I would suggest that you have the dealership amend the paperwork to reflect the warranty.
Zigner- Thought I would come back for your opinion at this point.

The dealership has had my vehicle now since 9/11/15. While they admitted fault and in a face to face meeting with multiple witnesses said they intend to put in another motor with no cost they appear to be stalling.
At one point the service manager who I correspond with through email so there is a paper trail for all of this said he found a motor for $1,500 but if I wanted a better one I just need to pay the difference as I had suggested a motor for $2400. When I asked him to verify the mileage with proof he said the motor had been sold and he would search for another one.

These motors all cost $2200-2600 with 90-100k miles used. I cant find any close to his $1500. It must have been high miles.
At one point he said he had a motor with 155k miles he would do no charge or
another motor with 97k miles but it would be an up charge of $550 then on top $1270 for a 5 year unlimited part and labor warranty on the motor.
I explained I want what was originally paid for - a used motor with 90-100k miles and no charge. Not paying any upcharge. I also want a 1 year part/labor warranty i will pay cash for.
I have since shared with him 3 local engines all of which fit this description. This was last Friday and he has not replied.

At what point do i bring in professional help? I feel like im there. I feel like they are trying to get me a junk motor or get me to pay for something running. I know they are trying to limit their cost but the price of these motors are very consistent. No to mention on the original invoice they billed the motor out at $3900. I understand theres mark up in there but they did not get that motor for $1500.

What say you?

justalayman

what warranty term was provided originally (not the extended warranty you think you purchase) and what was the extended warranty period?

Then, what were the actual terms of both warranties (what they covered)?

stimpy774

The original warranty from the salvage yard was 120 days covering just the motor not labor. The dealership invoice says all work warrantied for 1 year.

The warranty they asked me to purchase for I think $300-$350 was for one year covering the engine and labor only not positive he only said its to cover you in case something goes wrong with the motor.

justalayman

if the dealership is providing the warranty on the engine what the salvage yard provides would be irrelevant. That could be a problem if the dealer wants to argue the engine is not warranted by them but the salvage yard. What they are doing kind of fits in between a salvage yard warranty on the engine and dealer other and a dealer warranted everything.

I would try to get then to clarify what they were actually claiming to warranty (without sounding that's what you are doing) so it gives you a better basis for arguing they just need to fix your vehicle without any cost to you with a similar engine.

stimpy774

if the dealership is providing the warranty on the engine what the salvage yard provides would be irrelevant. That could be a problem if the dealer wants to argue the engine is not warranted by them but the salvage yard. What they are doing kind of fits in between a salvage yard warranty on the engine and dealer other and a dealer warranted everything.

I would try to get then to clarify what they were actually claiming to warranty (without sounding that's what you are doing) so it gives you a better basis for arguing they just need to fix your vehicle without any cost to you with a similar engine.
The invoice says all repairs have a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty. The service manager basically told me yes it would have been smart to get the extra coverage from the salvage yard (meaning smart for the dealership to buy it) But for whatever reason that did not happen so now it appears we are on the hook for a motor. He has already stated he plans to get a motor and install it no charge, he is just dragging his feet on buying the motor. I could have said yes to the motor with 155k miles but isn't that taking advantage of me? My original motor had 95k.

Will hiring a lawyer help me or makes things worse? its been over a month. My paid for piece of property is just sitting in their parking lot.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">