• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dealership made error on bill of sale, wants me to re-sign

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GG1987

Alabama. Visited a motorcycle dealership interested in a 2015 bike. Met with Sales for 5 minutes they collected my information and because I knew what I wanted handed me off to F&I. The F&I guy took my deposit and told him I'd be back in a few days to finish, pay the rest and pick up the bike. I came in a day early without calling my plans changed just to finish the paperwork would still be picking up the bike the next day. I worked with a different F&I person who completed the paperwork, collected the balance of what was owed and provided me a signed bill of sale. Now the dealer calls me to inform me that the wrong bike was listed (2016 not 2015). Admittedly I didn't verify the bill of sale prior to signing it-just assumed it was right (my fault I guess?). Anyway the dealership wants me to come back in to resign a corrected bill of sale. What are my options? Do I have to resign?

Alabama. Visited a motorcycle dealership interested in a 2015 bike. Met with Sales for 5 minutes they collected my information and because I knew what I wanted handed me off to F&I. The F&I guy took my deposit and told him I'd be back in a few days to finish, pay the rest and pick up the bike. I came in a day early without calling my plans changed just to finish the paperwork would still be picking up the bike the next day. I worked with a different F&I person who completed the paperwork, collected the balance of what was owed and provided me a signed bill of sale. Now the dealer calls me to inform me that the wrong bike was listed (2016 not 2015). Admittedly I didn't verify the bill of sale prior to signing it-just assumed it was right (my fault I guess?). Anyway the dealership wants me to come back in to resign a corrected bill of sale. What are my options? Do I have to resign?
Why would you not go back and resign?

GG1987

My question does not pertain to the morality of the issue but the legality. Also it's an inconvenience in my busy schedulde and I already contacted my insurance company to insure the bike they sold me.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My question does not pertain to the morality of the issue but the legality. Also it's an inconvenience in my busy schedulde and I already contacted my insurance company to insure the bike they sold me.
Ask them to throw in a free oil change or free routine maintenance check. Or, ask them to mail you the documents which you can then fill out and return.

LeeHarveyBlotto

Your schedule is too busy to correct something that you admit is partially your fault?

Neither did mine.
Would it by chance have anything to do with you paying more for the bike because of the mistake?
BTW. Thank you for tearing yourself away from your busy schedule, but could you answer the question.
There is a reason.

OHRoadwarrior

You know what you bought and the VIN reflects that. If you wish to hold up receiving a title due to a paperwork error you refuse to correct, let the bike sit in your garage all summer while the carbs gum up.

jamesbutton

So let me verify that I understand the matter:
1. The sales document you signed had an error.
2. There is no dispute over any aspect of the transaction, such as cost, model, etc.
3. The bike has been registered, insured and a title issued by your state DMV.
4. The dealer messed up the paperwork and wants to correct it for their records, and to do so they want you to travel there and sign a new document.

You see no need to update the paperwork, at least for you.

They have not stated a regulatory reason for the paperwork to be corrected, which would create a liability for you.

Furthermore, I assume that simply mailing you the revised document and having you sign it is unacceptable to either them or you.

If that is the case, I fail to see how you have an obligation to them to fix what they consider their paperwork.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">