• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dealership selling our car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarMidniteBlue

We brought our car back to the dealership this Monday (06/14/10) for repairs due to the the CPU not working. The car loan payments are up to date. We just need to pay for the repairs ($350 - but the car is not ready yet), however, they have the car advertised for sale in the local ad. Is this legal? :confused:

We brought our car back to the dealership this Monday (06/14/10) for repairs due to the the CPU not working. The car loan payments are up to date. We just need to pay for the repairs ($350 - but the car is not ready yet), however, they have the car advertised for sale in the local ad. Is this legal? :confused:
According to the other users on this forum, you are mistaken, the dealership is making a mistake, and this is just one big conspiracy that you made up. If you do not believe me, you can read my thread "bait and switch" in which a dealership sold me a car, but then mysteriously puts it back up for sale a month later on multiple websites.

StarMidniteBlue

we've been paying for our car since 10/2009. i was just wondering what i need to do if in the event they refuse to give us back our car.

Well for starters, are you SURE it is your car and not one that looks like yours?

Also, is it a reputable dealer or a buy here, pay here place?

Are you making payments to a bank? The dealership? where to?

Lastly, whoever you are making payments to holds the title. Therefore, the car would have to be retitled in order to be sold. So proof you own the car would not be hard to obtain, just call your bank.

If the dealer you are getting your car fixed at is the place that holds your title, you may have a small problem, but that gives them no right to sell your car. You are making payments and therefore own the car. The repairs are separate from the mechanical work. They can hold your car, for payment, but can not sell it.

StarMidniteBlue

It is the our car they have advertised - even down to the missing center hub cap on one of the wheels. It is a buy-here-pay-here but we do have the signed contract and proof of payments (through our bank and payment receipts). We're just worried that when we fork over the $350 when the car is done that they will refuse to return it to us. Is there a way for them to break the contract & keep the car?

Those kinds of places are shady. As long as you are not behind on your payments and you are honoring your contract, then they have no right to sell your car. Did you tell them that you did not have the $350 to get the car fixed? How do they know otherwise that you are just not there for mechanical service? What makes you believe they wont give you the car back after you pay for the repairs?

Are the repairs already done to the car?

Eh, if I were you and the car can be driven, I would get quotes from other places and have someone else fix the car. Something does not seem right there, and since nothing was done, I would just go pick up the car and say you needed it, and never drop it back off. At that point, you dont owe them any money so there is no reason for them to keep your car.

If the car can not be driven, you can always get it towed to where you want it to go, but that would cost more money then it is worth.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Eh, if I were you and the car can be driven, I would get quotes from other places and have someone else fix the car. Something does not seem right there, and since nothing was done, I would just go pick up the car and say you needed it, and never drop it back off. At that point, you dont owe them any money so there is no reason for them to keep your car.

If the car can not be driven, you can always get it towed to where you want it to go, but that would cost more money then it is worth.
Now your posts have crossed from ignorant/confused to down-right dangerous for our OP's. If you cannot post legally accurate information, then stop posting. Period.

For the OP: The "advice" given above is from a person with no actual legal knowledge what-so-ever. You cannot just go steal your car away from the dealer if they are asking you to pay for work done.

Now your posts have crossed from ignorant/confused to down-right dangerous for our OP's. If you cannot post legally accurate information, then stop posting. Period.

For the OP: The "advice" given above is from a person with no actual legal knowledge what-so-ever. You cannot just go steal your car away from the dealer if they are asking you to pay for work done.
You have a knack for not reading everything. The car is at the dealership, needs repairs. No repairs were made, no money is due. Therefore, OP has the right to just go and pick up the car as they please. YOU have no idea what you are talking about, as justified in every other thread you and I have engaged in. I am really beginning to think you just have it out for me and everyone else rather then give actual helping information.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You have a knack for not reading everything. The car is at the dealership, needs repairs. No repairs were made, no money is due. Therefore, OP has the right to just go and pick up the car as they please. YOU have no idea what you are talking about, as justified in every other thread you and I have engaged in. I am really beginning to think you just have it out for me and everyone else rather then give actual helping information.
The OP said that the car is not ready yet. That means that the work is likely in process. In any case, if the dealer claims an amount is due, then the proper remedy is NOT to go snatch the car away.

Yes, I have it out for anybody who feels they need to post false, misleading and, in this case, harmful information. The LEAST you could do is to put a small amount of time in to actually researching your answers before posting.

Andy0192

All this, and we still don't know what state we're dealing ( or not dealing..) with....

OP: What is your state? Are you located in the USA?

Oh man, sorry. Cant give you any kind of advice since we do not know where you live. Please move on since you are too dumb to fill out where you live enough the question you have has a good chance of being the same across the board in every state. Move along.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">