• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DealerShip Sells Car without Catalytic Converter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D1string

CALIFORNIA

Less than a Year a ago i Purchased a used 2006 Subaru WRX from an official Subaru Dealership, The car was warrantied and keeps flashing Check engine Lights. After taking The vehicle to several different Mechanics we found that the problem was that the vehicle was sold to me without a Catalytic Converter.

Isn't this Illegal under California Federal Law? Does this Cause Suspicion for the Certificate?

Do I Personally Have any rights or claims against the dealer for the cost of repairs to get this vehicle up to california code?

HomeGuru

CALIFORNIA

Less than a Year a ago i Purchased a used 2006 Subaru WRX from an official Subaru Dealership, The car was warrantied and keeps flashing Check engine Lights. After taking The vehicle to several different Mechanics we found that the problem was that the vehicle was sold to me without a Catalytic Converter.

Isn't this Illegal under California Federal Law? Does this Cause Suspicion for the Certificate?

Do I Personally Have any rights or claims against the dealer for the cost of repairs to get this vehicle up to california code?
**A: yes you do so what did the dealer tell you when you advised them of the problem.

D1string

**A: yes you do so what did the dealer tell you when you advised them of the problem.
They advised me that the car past smog and have basically ignored me. they are 50 miles away so i cant afford to keep going back and forth, if i had some kind of legality or proof/help to show them they are in violation they might come around?

Sincerely.

justalayman

if your car has less than 80k miles, there is a federally mandated warranty on emissions systems. That is controlled by the federal EPA. Additionally, it is illegal to remove a converter unless it is defective and then, it must be replaced with a converter.

So, I would start with contacting the California DMV and then the fed EPA and see what they suggest.

the problem you are going to have it the inspection you have is valid for only 90 days so unless you experienced problems in that time, you are going to have a problem proving the converter wasn't there when you bought it.

xylene

This is illegal under federal and California law.

Look at the emissions control badge under the hood. It says basically exactly that.

How did this pass emissions with a check engine light, let alone no cat c.

xylene

I don't know about the light but with enough money or enough chemicals, you can get just about any car to pass a smog test.
What are the test personnel drinking the methanol so that they go blind and not see the engine light and no cat c?

BL

This happened over a year ago .

Catalytic converters were not so far in the past being stolen as they were bring in good bucks .

Who's to say that didn't happen ?

What sorta pipe was run where the converter was ?

D1string

I don't know about the light but with enough money or enough chemicals, you can get just about any car to pass a smog test.
The CEL came couple of days after i bought the car, it was for an 02 sensor. I took it back two days later and they said it was "loose" Came on again a couple more times so i got a second opinion at another dealership and they told me it was because it had no CAT. When i told them one of their sister dealerships sold the car to me in that condition their lips shut.

the car has 75000 miles on it.

justalayman

contact the california Dmv folks and the fed EPA folks. You will probably get a quicker response from the California folks.

D1string

This happened over a year ago .

Catalytic converters were not so far in the past being stolen as they were bring in good bucks .

Who's to say that didn't happen ?

What sorta pipe was run where the converter was ?
The car had added modifications to the downpipe which eliminated the CAT

D1string

contact the california Dmv folks and the fed EPA folks. You will probably get a quicker response from the California folks.
Thank you-

Will i have to do this through the dealership that sold me my car or can i get it done elsewhere, they are far away and untrustworthy.
(After i contact DMV of Course)

And should i go to the DMV in person?

aldaron

Contact C.A.R.B, they will put the ole al gore in their butt. Their license to do business is at stake, have all your paper work in order and facts no opinions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">