• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A dealership sold me a vehicle they didn't own

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jennifer_folsom

Hi,
I live in Texas. My mom and I purchased a used 2000 Nissan Frontier from a Nissan dealership in February. We were issued a temporary tag at that time and informed we would receive the license plates in about 20 days. 20 days came and went. The temporary tag then expired. I contacted the salesman. He said he didn't know why we hadn't received the plates yet. Well 3 tags later, approximately beginning of this month, my mom contacted the manager of the dealership. He told her that the bank hadn't released the title yet and he wasn't sure why. I work for a bank. We don't keep titles just because. They are only not released if they are not paid in full. The 4 tag just expired. She called again speaking with the title clerk. She told my mom that the title was from a bank in Illinios and it had been sent, then lost. She said that they had filed to attain a duplicate copy last Monday over two months later. This is only the beginning. There is so much more to this story. But 5 temporary tags later, we want to know what we can do legally. We are tired of the lies and the run around. Please give us a clue what we can do.
Thank you very much,
Jennifer Folsom

L

loku

No title to car

Consumer good, such as cars, come with a warrantee of title. If the seller can not give you a good title within a reasonable time, you can usually rescind the contract—that is, return the vehicle and get your money back. There is no specific definition of “ a reasonable time,” but it is the time it would usually take in similar circumstances.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">