• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dealership or stealership?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

EricWCole

I'm from Maryland if this matters any. I just recently purchased a used truck from fitzgerald in gaithersburg. I traded in my used mustang; it was a 2004 and I've been driving it for nearly a year with no problems. They checked the vehicle out, they even drove it (I don't know where) had it for nearly half an hour. They said they had all of the managers look at it and they could give me 7500(kbb says it's trade in value was around 10k). I said have a nice day, and left. The next day i called usaa got approved for the loan, called them and said if they could do 9~ I would come purchase the truck. I did, everything went well. 2 days later they call and say that i never said anything about the aftermarket wheels(I told the manager that filled out the "aftermarket parts page" for me) and that the wheels are rubbing on the suspension because they are too wide. I professionally brushed him off. The very next day they said the speedometer is off, and as a result the odometer is off, and as a result I lied about the mileage and i signed a paper saying "to the best of my knowledge the mileage is correct", my reply was well thank god it says to the best of my knowledge because it was and I'm sorry but it's not my car anymore. He is threatening legal action if I do not give them $2000, or come purchase the mustang back from them, I offered that we just nullify the deal and they take their truck back and we go back to square one and he refused.

Detail summary:
1 my loan is not through them
2 i signed "to the best of my knowledge the mileage is correct"
3 someone filled out the page that said what was aftermarket on the car FOR ME, i did sign it afterwards, however i mentioned the wheels.

I have a friend that is a lawyer, and a good one, however he is on vacation and having a difficult time really helping me until he gets back which is 7 days. I can use him provided they actually send me anything legal, however I really want to know if this is even a valid threat, or if i should just brush him off and tell him to contact my lawyer if he wants to proceed.

Thank you for taking your time to read this and hopefully provide some advice.

justalayman

if the guy will actually act as your lawyer, simply give the dealership his name and business contact info and be done with it. That alone might be enough to get them to back off. I don't see any valid claim based on your statements.

EricWCole

if the guy will actually act as your lawyer, simply give the dealership his name and business contact info and be done with it. That alone might be enough to get them to back off. I don't see any valid claim based on your statements.
Thanks a lot, this is pretty reassuring, these types of situations can be kind of scary for someone with little to no legal knowledge. Basically everyone I've talked to has said the same thing. Thanks again.

Mass_Shyster

He is threatening legal action if I do not give them $2000, or come purchase the mustang back from them, I offered that we just nullify the deal and they take their truck back and we go back to square one and he refused.
They don't have a leg to stand on. If they sue, you'll have plenty of time to contact your friend before an answer to the complaint is due. In the meantime, if they call, tell them you are waiting for your lawyer to call back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">