• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Debit Card unauthorized usage, fraud?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jhobbs

What is the name of your state? Michigan
I used a debit card to pay for website hosting, at $18.95/month. The host had a 30-day satisfaction guarantee. After more than 30 hours of downtime within the first three weeks, I informed them I was not satisfied, wanted the hosting cancelled immediately, and wanted my charge reversed. They agreed.

They're very agreeable- They always say they did wrong, and will immediately correct the problem. They did cancel the webhosting service, but they continue to charge my account. Each time I request they reverse the charges, they charge my account again. They've done this four times now, for a total of $75.80. That's not a huge amount of money, but I'm afraid they will continue their unauthorized charges on my debit card.

I suppose the easy solution would be to get a new card from the bank, and kiss the $75.80 goodbye. Is there a better solution?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jhobbs said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan
I used a debit card to pay for website hosting, at $18.95/month. The host had a 30-day satisfaction guarantee. After more than 30 hours of downtime within the first three weeks, I informed them I was not satisfied, wanted the hosting cancelled immediately, and wanted my charge reversed. They agreed.

They're very agreeable- They always say they did wrong, and will immediately correct the problem. They did cancel the webhosting service, but they continue to charge my account. Each time I request they reverse the charges, they charge my account again. They've done this four times now, for a total of $75.80. That's not a huge amount of money, but I'm afraid they will continue their unauthorized charges on my debit card.

I suppose the easy solution would be to get a new card from the bank, and kiss the $75.80 goodbye. Is there a better solution?

My response:

Like a check, you can tell your bank that you're canceling any further and future debits from your account with regard to that company.

Now, depending on your proof that you canceled the service; (e.g., was it in writing?) and depending whether they're in your State, you can certainly sue them in Small Claims court. But, don't even think about it if they're out-of-state, and/or you don't have any proof of cancellation.

IAAL

J

jhobbs

Re: Re: Debit Card unauthorized usage, fraud?

Like a check, you can tell your bank that you're canceling any further and future debits from your account with regard to that company.

Thanks, I appreciate your response. I'll do that on Monday, if the host hasn't corrected things.

There are several computer forums that these host operators depend on, for future customers. I contemplate writing the truth, and nothing but the truth, about my dealings with this host. All backed up (only) by emails received from the host company. I want to warn others to stay away from this host, and I think I'm entitled to state the facts, without fear of legal retaliation. Am I right

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">