• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Debts and uncashed checks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

larala

What is the name of your state? CA
My landlord has traditionally taken two or three months to cash my monthly rent check. But now he's taking even longer. One of the uncashed checks is older than 6 months. Question: If the bank refuses to pay the check because the landlord lets it sit for too long, do I still owe the money to the landlord? Thank you.

racer72

What is the name of your state? CA
My landlord has traditionally taken two or three months to cash my monthly rent check. But now he's taking even longer. One of the uncashed checks is older than 6 months. Question: If the bank refuses to pay the check because the landlord lets it sit for too long, do I still owe the money to the landlord? Thank you.
Yes you do.

larala

Thank you. Since the landlord is a legally competent adult, I assume that he would have to directly ask me for a new check, correct? Is there a time limit when he can do that?

I understand your're suggesting that the landlord is legally entitled to decide when to cash his checks no matter how many months (or years?) the check was written and if the check bounces on a stale date (not on lack of funds) it is my responsibility to pay bank fees. Correct?

This is not a one-time oversight on the part of my landlord. That is what he does. I used to call his attention to uncashed checks but I stopped when I saw that that was a habit he did not wish to change.

VeronicaLodge

i would think you are only liable for the amount of the check, the rent. has this actually happened yet? I know you say your landlord routinely keeps the check a long time, but has your bank ever refused to make payment on one? you may be worrying over nothing.

larala

No, it has never happened. But checks never went uncashed over six months like now (just three or four months). Many banks bounce checks with a date older than six months. It is just a headache for me to have to worry about whether the checks were cashed. I'm also wondering if he could one day claim that the checks were received late. Since he cashes them so late, there would be no way to prove that the checks were sent on time.

It seems to me that, if someone gives you a check and you hold it for so long that it becomes stale dated and bounces, it's as if someone paid you in cash and you lost the money. The debt was paid. What's the difference?

Last edited:

BoredAtty

I understand your're suggesting that the landlord is legally entitled to decide when to cash his checks no matter how many months (or years?) the check was written and if the check bounces on a stale date (not on lack of funds) it is my responsibility to pay bank fees. Correct?
No, that would be his responsibility.

I'm also wondering if he could one day claim that the checks were received late. Since he cashes them so late, there would be no way to prove that the checks were sent on time.
The landlord must give you a receipt for your rental payment if you request one.

It seems to me that, if someone gives you a check and you hold it for so long that it becomes stale dated and bounces, it's as if someone paid you in cash and you lost the money. The debt was paid. What's the difference?
The debt is not paid when the check is given, it's paid when the check is cashed. Obviously, the difference between the two scenarios you mention is that in the latter, you still have the money.

fairisfair

No, that would be his responsibility.

The landlord must give you a receipt for your rental payment if you request one.

The debt is not paid when the check is given, it's paid when the check is cashed. Obviously, the difference between the two scenarios you mention is that in the latter, you still have the money.
yeah and don't forget YOU owe me. LOL

Have you thought about paying him with a cashier's check or certified funds? It's extra work to go get one each time you pay rent, but I would rather have that inconvenience than have to keep track of each check that is outstanding and make sure I always have enough in that particular account to cover them.

xylene

You can get checks printed VOID AFTER 90 DAYS.

The legality of that - well that depends... BUT if you do so and put your landlord on notice... it can't hurt.

You should ALWAYS get a receipt for rent payments.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You can get checks printed VOID AFTER 90 DAYS.
If the check is not cashed, then the money is not paid and the amount would still be owed. Sure, it would help alleviate any penalties for "late" payments...but it doesn't change the fact that the underlying amount is still owed.

xylene

If the check is not cashed, then the money is not paid and the amount would still be owed. Sure, it would help alleviate any penalties for "late" payments...but it doesn't change the fact that the underlying amount is still owed.
I don't think the poster is trying to avoid debts, in fact quite the opposite. The landlord being owed is seperate from a little posterior fire lighting when it comes to checks being deposited. ;)

And a little TP for ones own posterior never hurt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">