• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deceitful Car Dealership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbt131

What is the name of your state?I reside in Texas.

We purchased a used vehicle 3 weeks ago, a 2000 VW Jetta. Got the loan and all is fine. Get a call from the salesman ( friend of ours) and he says that the previous owner who traded in the Jetta contacted the owner of the dealership ( a Lexus Dealership) and was complaining about not getting enough money on the trade in. Then they want us to bring the car in ASAP because they need to see the vehicle to ascertain if there has been any paint/body work done on the car, the previous owner says there was not. The dealership also wanted us to sign a disclaimer in regard to the car if it was found paint repair was done.

THey picked up my car today at work, left me w/ a Lexus SUV, and then wanted me to come to the dealership on the way home. They said, it was disclosed that a small paint repair was indeed done on the front bumper
(couldn't show me where) and that the previous owner finally disclosed that a bumper ( paint ) repair was done.

Now they want me to sign an "Acknowledgement of Disclosure by Dealer of Damage to the Motor Vehicle" which states that " I hereby acknowledge that the Dealer disclosed to me before I agreed to purchase the vehicle, that it had been damaged as follows; Previous customer disclosed painted front bumper". Also stated: " The fact that the vehicle had been damaged was taken into account in arriving at the agreed price. I further acknowledge that the damage has been repaired to my satisfaction and I accept delivery of the motor vehicle as repaired. Nothing herein shall in any way affect or alter the manufacturer's warranty on the vehicle except as follows: ( left blank on the form.)

I said my husband wanted to read this before we signed and I would return it in the morning. All of the above was untrue and deceitful, since the words in bold are not the truth. We were not told any of this before the sale and now they want me to sign a paper saying we were told before the sale, this is a lie and we won't sign it.
So then the salesman, my friend, took the disclosure back in to the dealership and the financial manager added: " This paragraph does not pertain to my disclosure" and wrote it right after the sentence about how the damage was taken into account in arriving at the agreed price, thus voiding that disclosure.

Now what? We are thinking of returning to the dealership in the AM , and not signing this acknowledgement, it is all untrue. We can discuss the Texas Deceptive Trade practices Consumer Protection act and how this sale was not represented truthfully and continues to be represented deceitfully.

The dealership has offered to buy the car back, we don't want that, should we consider bargaining for a money sum or possibly ( a better choice? ) a full bumper to bumper warranty inclusive for the entire car, and then we will sign off? Legal action? I don't want to get into spending a ton of money, I just want to keep this car but am feeling something fishy is going on. Any suggestions would be helpful,

Thanks, we are contacting them in the morning, tomorrow, Thursday,
Cheryl

Last edited:

pammness

Father was paint& body for 30 years

Va.....
I would have the vehicle checked by a mecanic, someone not affiliated with dealership. Front bumper can damage any number of things, bends in radiator, issues with motor mounts (things that hold motor up and in place) etc.... see if there was any other items done, i.e. replaced radiator etc...
I doubt you can get them to agree to a full bumper to bumper warranty, you may however get them to give you a warranty on specofoc issues...i.e. anything to do with the engine, due to the repair being the front bumper, car was hit/backed into whatever to the front of the vehicle.
Also, look up on kelly blue book website to see what the retail should be for your vehicle in your area.... just follow the prompts. I would also run check in the vin number to be sure there are no other hidden issues they have not told you about.... carfax.com less then 25 $ and it will gove you plenty of info, also to set your own mind at ease.
If on your copy there is nothing about this repair, I can't see how they could try to say they did <shrug>
If your retail price sold to you is higher then kelly blue book, you may have some bargaining tools to benefit you if you cannot get them to give any type of warranty. If they did not take into account the bumper damage issue in your buying price tag...... Although it was fixed, you still have the plus on your side that they did not tell you this beforehand.... they know you have some sort of case, or they would not be wanting you to resign anything....
Not a lawyer, just thinking common sense wise. Hope this helps Good Luck

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">