• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deceptive advertising

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Krystal12

I have been visiting and calling several phone companys to see their deals and offers. I called the 1-800 number at Sprint and the operator told me that I could add a line for $29.99 and get a free IPhone on a 2 year contract. I was given the option to buy through the phone or at a store. I decided to go to the store but when I got there, the sales associate said this was not a real offer. I called the 1-800 number again and a different operator tolld me that it was not a real offer but gave me a new offer. When I was redirected to the activation line, they told me that this new offer wasn't real either. I ended up going to Boost mobile becasue on their website, they have an offer where if you buy the Iphone 5s, you get it for $149 instead of the original $250. When I got to the store, the sales associate said that the location was not taking that offer because it had already expired. I called the 1-800 number and they said the offer was valid. When I told them I was at the Boost mobile store and they wouldn't respect the price, the operator said it depended on the location. I told him that I thought this was serious company but then he hung up on me. Can this false advertisement be considered fraud? Can I take legal action?

quincy

I have been visiting and calling several phone companys to see their deals and offers. I called the 1-800 number at Sprint and the operator told me that I could add a line for $29.99 and get a free IPhone on a 2 year contract. I was given the option to buy through the phone or at a store. I decided to go to the store but when I got there, the sales associate said this was not a real offer. I called the 1-800 number again and a different operator tolld me that it was not a real offer but gave me a new offer. When I was redirected to the activation line, they told me that this new offer wasn't real either. I ended up going to Boost mobile becasue on their website, they have an offer where if you buy the Iphone 5s, you get it for $149 instead of the original $250. When I got to the store, the sales associate said that the location was not taking that offer because it had already expired. I called the 1-800 number and they said the offer was valid. When I told them I was at the Boost mobile store and they wouldn't respect the price, the operator said it depended on the location. I told him that I thought this was serious company but then he hung up on me. Can this false advertisement be considered fraud? Can I take legal action?
There could just be a failure to communicate properly rather than an intent to deceive. Some offers can be good only in some states in some locations or with phone orders or in combination with other services. Individual stores may not recognize these same offers.

You can report the advertising practices to your state consumer protection division for investigation, though. You did not name your state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">