• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Default I Bought a Luxury Car Over 100k, That Had Engine Problems Right After1st Year

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bobbi_Westchest

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: NY

I bought a luxury car which cost me more than 100K with maintenance plan. After the first one year, the engine showed every now and then a drivetrain malfunction error. The error shows up every now and then but the engine power is not controlled by my acceleration pedal anymore. The engine decides how much power the car gets no matter how much I press the gas pedal. I took the car to several dealers based on which city I was working in.

The dealers sent me home saying the problem was fixed, but right after I left the dealership the problem came right back. I couldn't take the car back to the dealership again immediately, because to get a loaner or rental car, it took co-ordination with the dealership based on availability of the loaners. For the next two years the car had the power problem.

I feel the manufacturer sold me a bad car for the price. DO I have any rights as a consumer to get the good quality car for the premium price I paid? Or do I need to take the crappy car the dealer and manufacturer gave me. Are the dealer and manufacturer liable for the bad experience I had with my car? I feel I did not get my money's worth, I paid a premium price but had a bad car for years.

Any suggestions folks? :(

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: NY

I bought a luxury car which cost me more than 100K with maintenance plan. After the first one year, the engine showed every now and then a drivetrain malfunction error. The error shows up every now and then but the engine power is not controlled by my acceleration pedal anymore. The engine decides how much power the car gets no matter how much I press the gas pedal. I took the car to several dealers based on which city I was working in.

The dealers sent me home saying the problem was fixed, but right after I left the dealership the problem came right back. I couldn't take the car back to the dealership again immediately, because to get a loaner or rental car, it took co-ordination with the dealership based on availability of the loaners. For the next two years the car had the power problem.

I feel the manufacturer sold me a bad car for the price. DO I have any rights as a consumer to get the good quality car for the premium price I paid? Or do I need to take the crappy car the dealer and manufacturer gave me. Are the dealer and manufacturer liable for the bad experience I had with my car? I feel I did not get my money's worth, I paid a premium price but had a bad car for years.

Any suggestions folks? :(
Did you buy this vehicle as a new vehicle?

Zigner

My little SUV was the first sub-$100k vehicle in the US to be sold with Gasoline Direct Injection (according to Wikipedia ;) ). I've had the high-pressure fuel pump inside of the engine replaced twice. When it fails, the truck goes in to what I call the "fail-safe" mode to protect the engine. It'll move enough to get you to the side of the road, but it doesn't matter how much you press the gas pedal, it's only going to go so fast

justalayman

For the next two years the car had the power problem.
so the car is at least 2 years old now?

so, what model year and how many miles on it when you purchased it and how many miles on it now?

You Are Guilty

My little SUV was the first sub-$100k vehicle in the US to be sold with Gasoline Direct Injection (according to Wikipedia ;) )
Jeez, just how old are you?
Wiki said:
The first automotive direct injection system used to run on gasoline was developed by Bosch, and was introduced by Goliath and Gutbrod in 1952.
(I can laugh because I have a DI motor SUV too)

/weep

Zigner

Jeez, just how old are you?

(I can laugh because I have a DI motor SUV too)

/weep
There was a qualifier ;) . According to Wikipedia: " Isuzu was the first to offer (GDI) in a vehicle priced under US$100,000." (emphasis mine)

My 2004 Rodeo has been a great little truck actually. I had a warranty to cover the first HP fuel pump, but the second was on me.

FlyingRon

New York has a lemon law. I sent you the link in the other forum you posted this problem in.

My car is only $33,000 and has no direct connection between the gas pedal and the engine either. It's merely an input to the computer. Except at certain very high speeds, the engine speed isn't determined by the either the gas pedal or how fast the car is going.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">