• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defective part

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

comathon

What is the name of your state?New York State-A contractor back in 2001, put a used part on my furnace in place of a new one. It didn't function properly, & i had a new furnace installed by another contractor. I refused to pay the previous contractor for the part & labor. He took me to small claims court & unfortunately the judge was a previous contracter & the contracter won the case. I was given no notice & a judgement was filed against me. I refused to pay him. after all this time, his lawyer put a freeze on my checking account. My questions are. 1- don't I have a right to know how his lawyer obtained my social security number 2- I have several CD's can they freeze them 3- can I have the jugdement reversed. The contracter was clearly in the wrong, & i wasn't treated fairly in court. Thank you for your time.

JETX

comathon said:
1- don't I have a right to know how his lawyer obtained my social security number
You can certainly ask, but there is NO statutory obligation for him to tell.

I have several CD's can they freeze them
If he can find them when they mature, yes. In fact, he can get a court order instructing the bank to 'turnover' the proceeds when they mature.

can I have the jugdement reversed.
Nope. The time to do that (file an appeal of the judgment) has LONG passed. It is usually 10 to 30 days, depending on state laws and courts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">