• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Definition "notwithstanding"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bca8ball

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Texas

Hello,
Can someone tell me what the term "Anything herein to the contrary notwithstanding" mean.
My guess is that the term renders the previous text subordinate; what about the subsequent text. Or am I off base?

notwithstanding

adv : despite anything to the contrary (usually following a concession); "although I'm a little afraid, however I'd like to try it"; "while we disliked each other, nevertheless we agreed"; "he was a stern yet fair master"; "granted that it is dangerous, all the same I still want to go" [syn: however, nevertheless, withal, still, yet, all the same, even so, nonetheless]

It renders all contrary text in the document subordinate.

bca8ball

Thanks for the quick response; I had the definition but the “It renders all contrary text in the document subordinate" cleared it up for me.

Thanks again

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">