• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deposit on Car Sale

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Ribane

I am in Michigan and my father-in-law went last week to look at a 1970 plymouth roadrunner, while looking on the car he agreed on a price of $3000 with the owner and shook hands and put down a $40 deposit, they both agreed we would pick the car up the following saturday at 11am. 2 hours before we went to pick the car up the owner called and said they did not want to sell. My father-in-law mentioned he was disappointed and would be contacting an attorney. A few minutes later They called back and said they had made an agreement and we could go pick it up.

On arriving at there house they declined to sell the vehicle, my father-in-law did not take his deposit back.

Does my Father-in-Law have any rights as far as being able to get the car for $3000 or have the interest on his loan paid that he took out for the car?.

I believe they realised the vehicle was worth more and didnt want to sell, are they allowed to do this or must they stick to there oral contract, since a deposit had been made.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">