• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is This Deposit Refundable?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lrd97

My state is Idaho.

Hi,

I was selling a motorcycle on eBay and had a local buyer offer me cash for the bike. The offer was less that my eBay reserve but I decided to take the offer anyway. I ended the auction early after the buyer test rode the bike and promised to bring me $11,000 cash. He showed up to buy the bike but only brought $2500.00 cash. I wrote up a bill of sale and at the bottom wrote "$2500.00 deposit paid, bike and title to be delivered when remaining $8500.00 is paid". This was a Monday night... he promised to return Thursday.

He then left the country. I held on to the deposit and the bike. About 5-6 weeks later I received a voice mail from him stating that he didn't know a time frame when he would be back and to go ahead and sell the bike. I took the bike to a local car dealer and put it on consignment. (I figured if he came back he could still pay the $8500 and buy it). After almost two months of being on consignment I decided to put the bike back on eBay and it sold for $10,600.

He showed up about a week later and now wants $2100 of the $2500 back. (because it sold for $400.00 less) One concern is this... I was selling the bike to pay for landscaping my yard... it would have sold in the first place on eBay but I decided to let him buy it. Because of the 3+ months lost waiting for him to come home I had to finance the landscaping on a credit card and paid it off when the bike finally sold. I told him I thought $1500 was a fair refund but it would take awhile to get it. Now only 5 weeks after he returned he is threating to sue me for the $2100 (after agreeing that $1500 was a fair refund).

So my question is... how much, if any of this deposit will I be required to refund if we go to court? Again... the contract did not specify anything about the deposit being "refundable" or "non-refundable".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">