• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deposit - Right to a refund

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sheffieldka7

I am looking into whether I am entitled to my deposit back.

I was enquiring into getting a tattoo done, the artist advised he would £100 deposit in order to start on some designs, I passed over the £100 on the basis that I would email across to him some images of what I was interested and then he could start designing something original, there was no other terms or conditions mentioned in our agreement other than that the deposit was to allow himself to spend time on the design.

It has been less than 24 hours and I have advised the artist that I do not wish to go ahead with this and asked for my deposit back. I have not emailed any designs to the artist and he has not started any designs or spent any time on artwork. He has said that the deposit is non refundable and that he will not give me the deposit back. I argued that it was never mentioned at the time that the deposit was non refundable and he mentioned no other term other than it was to enable him to spend time on a design. He then said there is a poster in his shop which states deposits are non refundable. I did not see the poster at all, he did not point out the poster or ever mention any terms to the deposit.

I am really quite frustrated by this as I should have been made aware of all terms before handing over my Money.

Should I be entitled to my deposit back?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Already answered this one - US law only...sorry.

ETA: Removing the fact that you're in the UK doesn't change the fact that we don't do UK law.

adjusterjack

I should have been made aware of all terms before handing over my Money.
It was up to you to ask.

Self preservation is nobody's business but your own.

In the US a deposit is NEVER refundable unless the terms and conditions of the deposit say it is (or some statute says so).

Might work the same in the UK.

Ask a lawyer.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It was up to you to ask.

Self preservation is nobody's business but your own.

In the US a deposit is NEVER refundable unless the terms and conditions of the deposit say it is (or some statute says so).

Might work the same in the UK.

Ask a lawyer.
Did you really just say that a deposit is NEVER refundable, unless it is refundable by law or by practice of the person receiving the deposit?

It would have been faster to simply says "It's NEVER refundable, unless it is"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">