• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Desperately in need of Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MSausville

Hello,

Here is the problem we face at present. My wife went to work for a dentist here in New York. She stayed only a breif time as the mans mannerisms were rude and aggressive. Working there was not a pleasant experience. They had a high rate of turnover, and my wife became one of the short term employees. While there she and other co-workers orderd from one of those mail order catalogs to buy goods (like a fingerhut type catalog if you are familiar). Anyhow, after my wife left there were still several orders outstanding. When they arrived the dentist/owner of the practice called our home and demanded we come pick up the items. We of course did so. I personally went and paid our share of the bill and we picked up the orderd items.
Where the problem lies is this. There were other people who orderd from this catalog as well, and the dentist is unable to reach them for whatever reason. He has sent this to a collection agency, and has had them contact us for payment in full on this bill. The bill came in the doctors name, and the account belongs to his practice. When the orders were placed they were placed with peoples names right next to the orderd item from the office so there would be no confusion when the merchandise was shipped. We have cancelled checks for the full amount of my wifes portion of the bill.
Is this something we are responsible for? Can this doctor send us to a collection agency for items orderd from an account in his offices name? What action should we take at this point to straighten this mess out?

L

lawrat

no. if the bill came in his name and with the name of each person next to their particular order, your wife is not responsible for the others' shares.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">