• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Detrimental reliance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kittypaws

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KS

My mother was considering selling the family homestead (farm). One of my sisters called the ag representative/loan officer at a bank to ask about the value of the land. As it turned out, the loan officer himself was interested in buying the land.

The other sisters were not interested in keeping any of the land; however, I wanted to buy 10 acres. I have video where I state to my mother my fear that my sisters will "sell the land out from under me."

My mother then decided not to sell. My husband and I met with this loan officer and presented my desire to retain 10 acres of the land. A verbal agreement with handshakes was made between the loan officer, my husband, and me that if anything changed, if the loan officer gained any knowledge of a potential sale, he would contact me. My husband gave him our business card with our phone number.

Next thing I know, the land has been sold, behind my back, to the loan officer.

He did not notify me of any pending sale and bought all the land for himself. I am left with nothing. I was depending on him to contact me and he didn't.

Does this qualify for a detrimental reliance case?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">