• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Diamond Ring Fiasco

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? OH
My daughter and her fiance purchased an engagement ring from a chain jewelry store using their in store credit. A month after purchasing it they took it to have it appraised and were told that the diamond had an inclusion. They were not told this nor was it on any of their paperwork.
They asked the jeweler to take it back as they weren't informed of the inclusion. They dealt with 2 women who are no longer there because they were "let go for reasons they cannot discuss". The ring was taken back and they assumed that was that. 6 weeks later they get a phone call that their payment for the ring was past due. They explained that it was returned to the store and they told them which employee they had returned it to. They were not given a receipt when they returned the ring.......yes I know, dumb, really dumb. They are now telling them that they will have to honor the loan which is for several thousand dollars.
Getting a lawyer, unless they aren't going to charge (ha ha) is not possible.
I there anything that they can do??

They don't have proof that they returned the ring....it's their word against your daughter and son-in-law. Usually when something is returned to a store, the store requires the customer fill out a return ticket. They usually keep those for their records. Do they recall doing that??

jpritchett81 said:
They don't have proof that they returned the ring....it's their word against your daughter and son-in-law. Usually when something is returned to a store, the store requires the customer fill out a return ticket. They usually keep those for their records. Do they recall doing that??
I can't believe that they do not have any in store proof that the ring was returned either but that would make sense if the employee who took the ring back and is no longer there had pocketed the ring. Although I can't imagine that their security cameras wouldn't pick up on that. Somehow....this all seems a bit fishy. But as you say....without my daughter and future son-in-law having proof that they returned the ring, they will more than likely have to pay the loan.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">