• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

disagreement with auto dealer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rconover

A few months ago (march 29th to be exact) i bought a car from a local dealer (i live in missouri). they sold me an extended warranty on that vehicle, and i was assured that it covered many systems, including the electrical system. 55 days after the sale, my starter motor went out, and when the mechanic called the warranty company for authorization, he was told there was no warranty on file. after numerous calls to the dealer, it turns out they sold me a warranty that wasn't available for my car. the contract i signed says:

"i understand that the above information is subject to verification and that this application may be rejected if any of the above information is incorrect or if the above vehicle is not eligible for the term or coverage written as determined by the administrator in its sole discretion."

my question is threefold. one; is this disclaimer legally binding (doesn't anyone have to be responsible for this?) two; the dealer never attempted to contact me and tell about their mistake, aren't they at least liable to do that? and three; since the warranty they described was a vital point in my decision to purchase the car, can i demand they refund my money and take the car back?

i have filed a complaint with the attorney general of missouri, and am waiting to see what will come of that. another question; what "verdict" can the attorney general make in this matter, and how sure am i of being able to actually collect anything if i am found to be the victim in all of this?

i realize this is a pretty involved case. but any reply would be appreciated.

thanks.

L

lawrat

this one sounds fishy. i say go get yourself an attorney (www.attorneypages.com) and you might be able to get a new car. why? The same thing happened to my friend and her mom, the attorney, got her a new car.

racer72

The contract YOU signed states: "i understand that the above information is subject to verification and that this application may be rejected if any of the above information is incorrect or if the above vehicle is not eligible for the term or coverage written as determined by the administrator in its sole discretion."
1. Yes.
2. No, the dealer is acting as an agent for the carrier of the warranty. It should have been up to the warranty provider to tell you.
3. Probably not. It was not the dealers decision to not grant you the extended warranty. Your beef is with the warranty provider, not the dealer.

Also, have you read what the warranty actually covered? I sold vehicle warranty contracts for many years, we covered the vehicle electrical systems but this excluded electrical parts that wear with age such as starters, alternators, distributors and other items that may be replaced as a part of normal maintainance. Even if the warranty did cover your vehicle, it probably would not have covered replacing the starter anyway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">