• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disappointing health care issue financial

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana, but not really relevant

This is not the perfect forum for this but I thought it was better than any other. I just wanted to share a disappointing health care issue from the financial end. Its a perfect example to me of the kinds of things that are wrong with our system.

I had some surgery done a couple of months ago. Not major, outpatient. I have no health insurance so I was very careful to get a specific quote ahead of time and they were very careful about making the quote. I paid in full for my initial consult (and they gave me a discount for paying cash), and I paid in full the day of the surgery, the full amount of the quote (which was again a discounted quote for paying cash) and was told I was paid in full. Nothing unusual went on in the surgery either that would have been "extra".

Just yesterday I get a bill in the mail. It shows everything from my initial consultation, through the surgery, shows substantial discounts from stated prices, shows what I paid, and stating that I had a balance due that was a full 50% more than what I was quoted. Naturally I am going to challenge this bill and very much hope that it will be cancelled, but this is nuts.

CourtClerk

Of course, quotes are just that. Quotes.

I fail to see how this is a commentary on the "health care system" as opposed to, I got a quote for (surgery, plumbing, car repair, water damage on my house, fixing the heel on my shoe, repairing the roof on the house, etc.) and the final bill ended up larger than I expected and that sucks.

LdiJ

It might be a more valid commentary if you told us WHY there was a discrepency.
I don't know why there was a discrepancy. I have an opinion of what is going on here, which is very typical of the industry...but obviously its not of interest to anyone so I will close the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">