• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discliamer at drycleaner

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pinkdino

Hello:

My friend's mother took her mink coat to the dry cleaners to be clean. But when she paid her deposite, they made her signed a disclaimer saying that they are not reponsable for any damage. At first she disagree but then sumbit to signing it because she was told it was industry standard and that if it's not sign, they would not take her coat. But when the coat was being picked up, there were gashes and tears all over it. The dry cleaner refuse to pay for the damgaes. Reason being the disclaimer. My question is that is there any way she can fight this and is the disclaimer legal. If the disclaimer is, then won't that make the dry cleaner too powerful?

Thank you for your time.
Your efforts are much appreciated.

TCB4U2B2B

My Two Cents

Hello pinkdino

The dry cleaners is most likely a privately owned business. It seems quite reasonable for the owner to run the business as they deem fit based upon prior experiences.

Reason being, paying the costs for damages on expensive clothing, furs etc. would either increase their insurance rates or reduce the profit margin. Eihter of which could make running the business profitless.

All businesses have choices to make. The cleaners in question realize the potential for damages and choose to release themselves of the liability. Other cleaners may provide damage protection but at significant costs or through other means.

Customers also have choices. If the cleaners in question have that disclaimer, then we either agree with it or go elsewhere.

L

lawrat

Disclaimers are not contracts.

L

Ladybugg

Gashes and tears all over it?

hmmmm sounds suspicious to me. Perhaps the dry cleaner owner is an animal rights advocate and deliberately destroyed the mink coat. Hey, I woulda done the same thing!!

Here's a semi-old saying.....

"Fur is worn my beautiful animals and ugly people"

Sorry, I couldn't resist, I'm an animal lover.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">