• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dishonest Lease Agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LeaseProblem

What is the name of your state? CA

I went to Toyota to buy a car but got instead a lease. Fine. They said it would work better for me. I asked the price for the car that I was interested, and I was told a certain amount, let's say $15,000. Ok, I said, so we talked about the monthly payments and how much I would down, so we came to $2,500.00 down plus $750.00 cash back, which means $3250.00 was the total down payment. When looking at the contract, which, now that I look back, was prepared very quickly, the amount of $15,000 was nowhere to be seen, but instead i saw a number similar to $18,900.00 I was told that I should not look at that number because I still need to subtract the drive off cost, in the amount of about $2,800.00, which they told me I DO NOT NEED TO PAY. Ok. I signed the contract, but then, after couple of hours, starte to have a bad feeling about this contract and looked over the numbers again. In fact, I DID pay the drive off cost with my down payment, so they made me THINK that i did not. That part they completely skipped, and in fact, the car's worth is not the $15,000 i agreed upon, it indeed is the $18,900.00. I went back to talk about this and they tried to explain, but it did not make sense. The next day I showed the contract to a friend/lawyer and he agreed, that I was not charged correctly, the amount is too high, and I was told not to look at that, that I am fine. I went back and explain them the situation and they wanted to change the contract by about $1,500.00 but I told them that that is still not the price that I agreed to. The finance manager asked me several times who told me that price and I said the sales person, and he said that can't be it. Then he simply said: I don't care which contract you want, I already got paid, I have my money.
I left my car keys on his desk and left the car at the dealership, because I know that I was told one price and showed on the contract that it would be the higher price but to subtract the drive off fees, and this all does not make sense and is not true.
I am not sure what is going to happen now, but I stopped payment on the check, and I left the car. Although I signed the contract it is not what we agreed on, because they confused me with the numbers. What should I do? Will I get sued? And what would be my next step? Please help....

djohnson

How many days did all this take place in from when you actually signed the contract? You may get sued, it would have been your responsibility to have the contract looked at before you signed it. You have what they said, which you can't prove and they have the contract that you signed which they can prove.

L

LeaseProblem

What I found out so far

This all took place within 3 days, and I found out from a source within that they did screw me over, and that they lied about the drive off cost as well as the sales price, and legally, that if 1st payment has not been received, I am not legally bound to that contract. They are trying to work it out with me, and although I have been advised to just let this go, I am going to see what they will offer me. It definately has been a headache, but I just want this ordeal to be over and enjoy my car.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">