• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dispute with car mechanic

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rudeer

What is the name of your state? Idaho

I recently had my car worked on by a mechanic who is also an acquaintance of mine. We talked on the phone when he found out what was wrong with it, and suggested that it might be a little over $300, so I told him to go ahead. I made the mistake of never asking for a written estimate.

A week later, he tells me the car is ready, and asks for over $900! Now, he is holding on to the car, and will not even let us get our personal items out of it, until we pay in full. Does he have the right to keep our car from us until we pay what he demands? What are the laws about settling this bill?

What is has is generally known as a Mechanic's Lien. Idaho has a provision for this type of lien. There should be a motion for release of lien under those statutes. I am not sure about Idaho, but many states require specific language to be in a signed contract before a lien can be levied against your property. If this is true in Idaho, your mechanic friend has no legitimate claim to a lien on your vehicle. You should call a local attorney who operates in this area and ask some questions. He may just lead you in the right direction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">