• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dispute with a Heating/AC Service Company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jwlott

North Carolina

Do I have legal grounds for not paying for an unauthorized repair?
Can a company legally charge late fees if their invoice does not specify a late payment policy?
------------------------------------------------
I called a service company about a heating/AC problem. Service person came out and diagnosed the problem (bad draft inducer motor). After finding out that the company did not work with my home warranty company, I informed him that I would have to call the warranty company to see which service provider I would have to use. I was told that if they didn't replace the motor, I would be charged for a service call (he then left). I did not authorize the motor to be replaced (verbally or in writing).

The warranty company dispatched another provider. They replaced the motor. After the motor had been replaced and several months after the initial service call, I received an invoice for $380 from the first company for installation of a motor (labor and parts). They are stating that I did verbally authorize the repair and they came back later (the day of the service call) and replaced it. No notice of any repair was left.

I called and stated that I would not pay for the motor installation because it wasn't authorized nor was I informed of their action until months later. They are threatening to sue me for the charges. They are also adding late fees although their invoice contains no verbage defining late fees.

racer72

They will look like fools in court when the judge asks for a signed work order. They can not make you pay for repairs you did not authorize.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">