• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dispute over season tickets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Ann Sterner

Colorado-

My name is Ann Sterner,

I have been sharing season tickets for the Colorado Avalanche, with a friend since the team came to town. My friends name is on all the paperwork. However we have both shared the cost of the tickets, by each charging half the amount of the bill to our own credit card. We have always gotten together to split the tickets in half. We have paid our half of this seasons (2001-2002) tickets already. Due to a dispute over a playoff game ticket last season, my friend has stated that he no longer wants to "share" his tickets with me. This season tickets were mailed out to my friend and he arbitrarily split the tickets with out consultation with me. I feel the split was unfair and unreasonable.

I have several questions.

1. Do I have any legal rights with retaining my half of the tickets?

2. Do I have any legal rights to the half of the tickets that were distributed unfairly?

Any assistance you can provide would be appreciated.

JETX

Ann: Of course it is obvious that you should have had the specifics of this arrangement in writing.
Did you (almost a rhetorical question)??

If not, and there is no specific understanding of the season 'split', you are left with the following options (as I see them):
1) Accept what you have and make other arrangements for next year.
2) Negotiate a return of the tickets you have and attempt reimbursement for your full costs.
3) Accept the ticket split and try to determine some 'damages' (really hard to prove why one game would be 'worth more' than another), then pursue legal action to recover your 'damages'.

Obviously, option 3 will be VERY hard to do, since the burden of proof would be on you to determine the monetary value of each ticketed game and to convince a court of same.

A

Ann Sterner

Thanks for your advice,

I have another question.

For the last 5 seasons, we have always arranged a meeting and came to a mutual agreement as to who should receive which game. Alot depended on each other's shchedule. Because of the dispute, I was unable to participate in the decision making. I only receive a packaged in the mail.

When I purchased these tickets, before this disupute, It was understood that we would go through the same process to divide the tickets.

Do I have any remedies to help divide these tickets more equitability?

JETX

Your 'understanding' is subject to interpretation by others (a court if necessary). Do you really want to go through the cost and ordeal of taking this to court (especially without ANYTHING in writing!).

My original response stands.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">