• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dispute over security alarm contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tac

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Texas-I have a contract with a security company for an alarm on my studio.Their standard contract is for five years but when I moved in I could only get a one year lease on the studio and did not want to commit to a security contract longer than that. The rep for the security company said that was fine and that was written on the contract that I signed. Three years later I lost the lease on the space and called the security company to cancel the service. They refused saying I had a five year contract. They ignored several request to send me a copy of the contract ( I have now found my copy ) and have turned the account over to a collection agency. In a discussion with the rep for the collection agency I was told they did not have to provide me with anything nor prove anything. It was up to me to prove I did not owe for the remaining two years. Also I was told that even if I had a one year lease I would still be responsable for a year because at the end of a contract period the contract is automatically renewed for another year unless I cancel in writing 30 days before the end of the contract. What is my obligation here? Where do I stand? The amount They say I oue is about $735.

cmorris

tac said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Texas-I have a contract with a security company for an alarm on my studio.Their standard contract is for five years but when I moved in I could only get a one year lease on the studio and did not want to commit to a security contract longer than that. The rep for the security company said that was fine and that was written on the contract that I signed. Three years later I lost the lease on the space and called the security company to cancel the service. They refused saying I had a five year contract. They ignored several request to send me a copy of the contract ( I have now found my copy ) and have turned the account over to a collection agency. In a discussion with the rep for the collection agency I was told they did not have to provide me with anything nor prove anything.

**That's a lie. Stay off the phone and do everything by certified mail, return receipt.

It was up to me to prove I did not owe for the remaining two years.

**Wrong. Don't do their job for them.

Also I was told that even if I had a one year lease I would still be responsable for a year because at the end of a contract period the contract is automatically renewed for another year unless I cancel in writing 30 days before the end of the contract.

**Depends on the language in the contract. Does it say that in your copy?

What is my obligation here? Where do I stand? The amount They say I oue is about $735.
Send a letter to the collection agency, certified mail return receipt, asking for proper validation as per the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. Tell them to only contact you by mail, as it is inconvenient for you to receive phone calls.

Validation has to be proof that you owe what they claim. It has to come from the original creditor.

If it is on your credit reports, send a letter to the credit bureaus disputing the debt as "not mine," AFTER you get your green card back from the collection agency. This puts them on a 30-day timeline.

JETX

tac said:
What is my obligation here? Where do I stand? The amount They say I oue is about $735.
In order to answer properly, I need to read the contract.

Please hold it up to the screen.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">