• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have any recourse?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

catts258

What is the name of your state? I am a resident of NC, but the following happened in Myrtle Beach, SC.
This past weekend myself and 12 others rented 3 condos/apartments Friday and Saturday night. Upon returning to our unit Saturday morning about 3:00 we found that someone had gained entry through a ground level unlocked window and stolen a couple of sets of golf clubs, a digital camera, and a couple of cell phones. All told it was about $ 2500 worth of items. It could have been alot worse as there were many more valuable items in the unit. I realize that the contract says that they are not responsible for theft, but it was obvious that it was an inside job. When we checked into our place we didn't think to check all of the windows to see that they are locked, especially when they were behind drapes and blinds; it's just not something that one normally thinks of. There are thousands of units at this resort and I noticed (the next day)that ours was the only one missing a screen; someone who had access to our unit targeted the next tennants of that unit and set it up to happen. Do I have any options? It seems like they have a responsibility to provide a secure unit for their renters. Also, the management has failed to return phone calls or emails. They are completely ignoring the situation. Thanks.

JETX

The resort owners have no liability to you.
Contrary to your opinion, you DO have an obligation to make sure that the property is secure when you leave it. Simply, do you think the property would be liable if you left the door unlocked?? No. How about if you left the door open?? No. Neither are they liable for you leaving a window unlocked..... or not checking to make sure that they were locked.

File a claim on your homeowners policy. They might cover it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">