• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have any rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

ExMusician

I was hired in 1998 to do work on a music album for an acquaintance in another state.
I signed a contract which denied my right to make any money beyond $1000.00 on this deal, if I agreed to take $1000.00 instead of getting paid royalties. I agreed because I felt the music was so dreadful, and the reputation of the employer was so poor that I'd stand to get nothing if I didn't take the $1000.00.
Now I've discovered that this person has used my musical tracks and songs I've performed on in various musical compilation CDs, 2 of which are put out by the notorious "K-Tel." This person has also claimed credit for a song that I had written the melody for. I don't know if persuing this legally would be at all worthwhile, because I don't know just how much money is involved. But when I see my work on a "K-Tel" compilation and know that this person is milking my work for far more than what I was paid, I have to wonder. I live in Tucson, AZ.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

We would need to see the contract. Perhaps, you gave the other party the right to assign his rights to anyone, including K-Tel, under the contract. Who knows, but it would be worthwhile to have a contracts attorney review it.

But, in the meantime, I can leave you with the following - -

Top Ten Signs Your Record Won't Sell - -

NUMBER 10: You think "R&B" stands for "Roast & Beef."

NUMBER 9: Your only experience with music this year was getting your tongue stuck in the CD player.

NUMBER 8: All your love ballads contain the phrase "lactose-intolerant."

NUMBER 7: Sticker on your CD reads, "Parental warning: this record sucks."

NUMBER 6: Your band has no guitars, but plenty of bagpipes.

NUMBER 5: Critics agree: your CD makes a great drink coaster.

NUMBER 4: Record stores keep your CD in a section called "Unlistenable Crap."

NUMBER 3: Your backup singers are barking dogs.

NUMBER 2: When you call your agent, you get a recording of him singing show tunes.

AND NOW, the NUMBER ONE Sign Your Record Won't Sell - -

Your band consists of you, your Uncle Bob, and his touch-tone phone.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">