• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have rights to the vehicle?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sweetchick

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

My ex-boyfriend and I purchased a vehicle together and we are no longer together due to domestic violence. He turned in the vehicle to a dealership as a trade-in and got something else. The loan company says the loan is paid off, but the dealership has possession of the vehicle and wants me to sign off the title. Since it is paid off do i have rights to the vehicle?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

My ex-boyfriend and I purchased a vehicle together and we are no longer together due to domestic violence. He turned in the vehicle to a dealership as a trade-in and got something else. The loan company says the loan is paid off, but the dealership has possession of the vehicle and wants me to sign off the title. Since it is paid off do i have rights to the vehicle?
Yeesh - sign the form or don't (they can't force you). You don't have a right to the vehicle.

OHRoadwarrior

You have 2 choices. Do not sign the title and leave him in a bind or make them give him the car back. You can potentially hold up their mutual transaction until he pays you for your portion of the vehicle.

BL

It would seem if your name was/is also on the title , they should not have taken it in for a trade in without your consent and signature first.

Who's name is/was the loan in ?

Zigner

Methinks the dealer is trying the "easy" route to avoid a few extra forms being filled out.

latigo

You could have asked an easier question. This one isn’t. In fact it is troublesome.

But first the easy part:

The status of the loan, whether satisfied and released or not, has nothing to do with yours and the dealership’s respective claims to the vehicle. It’s the state of the title not the state of the loan that is critical to your question,

If, in order to transfer ownership of the trade-in, your endorsement on the title was necessary, (that is, the title reads _____ and _____ ) then the dealership dropped the ball and is holding a vehicle they can’t legally sell.

And as unlikely as that would seem, yet because the dealership is asking for your signature, we should assume here that title was issued in the conjunctive requiring both signatures rather than in the alternative requiring but one.

Assuming that is the case, then you and your ex boyfriend were co-owners with each owning an undivided one half interest in the trade-in. And all either one of you could sell, separately and individually, is a one half-undivided interest.

Theoretically then you and the dealership are now the co-owners of the vehicle.

What is the solution? I’ll tell you. I don’t know!

Normally when co –owners of property, either land or chattels, are unable to resolve their differences over the disposition and use of the jointly owned property, the law provides relief by what is known as and Action for Partition.

(Yes, you can seek judicial partition of personal property as well as real property!)

There, when the circumstances of the property are such that it cannot be fairly divided - the court orders the property sold by the sheriff or a referee with the net proceeds divided proportionate to the respective individual ownership interests.

But neither your one half interest nor his were owned free and clear. That co-ownership was subject to the loan. So in theory you could not claim entitlement to one half of the market value of the vehicle. You would have to somehow show that you were legitimately or voluntarily enriched through the trade-in transaction by which the loan was paid off.

And that is why this is such a sticky wicket.

But here is what I would do if I were your attorney.

I would take the amount the dealer credited for the trade-in. Subtract the payoff on the loan. Divided the balance in half and tell the dealership that you will sign off on the title once we have their certified check in that amount and payable to your order.

sweetchick

It would seem if your name was/is also on the title , they should not have taken it in for a trade in without your consent and signature first.

Who's name is/was the loan in ?
The paperwork say's he's the buyer and i'm the co-buyer

BL

The paperwork say's he's the buyer and i'm the co-buyer
I agree with the poster that says you should be entitled to 1/2 the trade in value since the load is paid off.

Respond to the dealership you will simintaniously sign off on the title when the hand you over 1/2 the trade in value.

If their response is no ,consult with an attorney for a small fee, or perhaps a local attorney will give you advice for free.

For a small fee of $50.00 or $60.00 the attorney may write the dealership a letter on your behalf ,and that could solve the issue.

Zigner

I am under the impression that the OP did NOT contribute to the full payoff of the loan.

sweetchick

I am under the impression that the OP did NOT contribute to the full payoff of the loan.
He traded the vehicle in which in turn paid off the loan, so I had nothing to do with that. But if you must know I did not make any of the payments on the vehicle. He does not have a drivers licenses due to drunk driving.

OHRoadwarrior

He traded the vehicle in which in turn paid off the loan, so I had nothing to do with that. But if you must know I did not make any of the payments on the vehicle. He does not have a drivers licenses due to drunk driving.
If you contributed nothing, attempting to thwart the transfer to profit yourself, would be unjust enrichment. All you can do is create an obstacle for the relationship between the dealer and your ex or be nice and sign the title.

BL

Ok then I was mistaken . Sign the title and be done with it.

I'm not sure what you were looking for.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Actually Sweetpea, your X did you a favor here. BOTH of your names are on the old car. If he gets in a wreck with it, then guess who they will sue? BOTH of you. Personally, cut your loss and get out from under it.

latigo

Actually Sweetpea, your X did you a favor here. BOTH of your names are on the old car. If he gets in a wreck with it, then guess who they will sue? BOTH of you. Personally, cut your loss and get out from under it.
Sweechick: PLEASE ignore the above advice. Its based on guesswork. Not applicable law.

And if the poster had ever read a statute on vicarious liability or dangerous instrumentality, including Michigan’s statutes, he or she would have known it to be unsound advice.

There is no danger whatsoever of you being held responsible for a third party’s negligent use of that vehicle.

Not unless you were to somehow regain possession and permit its use by a third party or it were to be driven by a member of your immediate family.

Here is the law in Michigan as applied by the Michigan Supreme Court in Kaiser vs. Allen et al. Case No 133031 Decided March 2008:

The owner of a motor vehicle is liable for an injury caused by the
negligent operation of the motor vehicle whether the negligence
consists of a violation of a statute of this state or the ordinary care
standard required by common law.

The owner is not liable unless the motor vehicle is being driven with his or
her express or implied consent or knowledge.

It is presumed that the motor vehicle is being driven with the knowledge
and consent of the owner if it is driven at
the time of the injury by his or her spouse, father, mother, brother,
sister, son, daughter, or other immediate member of the family.

Michigan Complied Laws (MCL) Section 257.401(1)

Zigner

Lat - let's say the "deal" is undone and the ex gets the car back. The ex is driving home and crashes in to a bus half filled with nuns and the other half filled with 6 year olds on their first field trip. OP could DEFINITELY be found to have liability.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">