• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I Still Have To Pay???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yoshi2u

What is the name of your state?
Virginia

I purchased a 1998 Ford Taurus from a Ford Dealer in 1999. I had been paying the monthly payment on the account as agreed until 2002. The engine in the car became inoperable. I stopped making payments and returned the car to Ford Motor Credit (finance company of contract). Ford Motor Credit sold the car for $150.00. The balance owed on the contract was $3,000 or less. Ford Motor Credit offered to take $2500.00 and I wasn't able to accept the offer at the time due to financial restraints. I recently received money from my income tax refund and contacted Ford Motor Credit to offer $3,000.00 to settle the contract and they told me they are unable to accept the money and that the account has been turned over to an attorney to contact him. So I contacted the attorney and was told that $7,000.00 was due on the account. Well I had previous arrangements with said attorney to pay $150.00 a month, which I had been doing. However, the attorney wouldn't accept the $3,000.00 offer either and wanted the $7,000.00. I don't have that kind of money. This has already been entered on my credit report as a reposession. Can I just stop paying the $150.00 a month without the attorney being able to garnish my pay and has the statue of limitations run out on this contract?

J-n-McK'sMOM

Do I Still Have To Pay?

I'm from KY. :confused: My guess is that you will have to at least pay the balance on the loan. After sometime, the lawyer will probably contact you and offer to settle with you for a lower amount that will be less than the $7,000 he is trying to drain from you now and may possibly be less than the $3,000 balance. However I am in the same boat you are now with a 98 Chrysler purchased in 1999. Who knows we may both get sued! It would be helpful if we could both get some info on Repo laws for our states.

yoshi2u

Repo Laws

I am going to pose my question to an attorney and see what comes of that. I'll let you know what I find out.

J-n-McK'sMOM

Repo Laws

:) Thanks A Bunch! I do appreciate it. however I did my original post on 6/7 telling my story and then thought I'd posted it to an attorney also. The only response I got was from a racing grandpa who basically told me to shut up and pay the bill! All I would like to know is if repo laws vary from state to state and if so, what are they in KY? Keep in Touch! :eek:

pammness

Use the net...

Virginia here.... Use the search engines on the net i.e. google, dogpile,etc.... type in reposession laws Kentucky(check spelling)..... should get a bunch of hits, some may be nothing, othersmay be your jackpot to your state laws.... :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">