• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do they have to tell you about an invoice?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mark_in_PA

What is the name of your state? PA.

We bought an old house with a new roof that has a warrantee on it for the next 12 years. It rained and we got water in the kitchen near the bay window roof, we called the roofing company, they came out and said that it was not their fault (the siding let the water in) but they got on a ladder and put some caulk down. I have damage in my kitchen walls due to this water.

2 weeks later it rains again and we get more water in, we call, (4 times) they come in 10 days later (unannounced) and look at the problem. They adjust 2 things: the bend a J channel (part of the framing of the roof) and they tell me that there is a leak in the window sill on the second floor, so they put a aluminum cap on that.

2 days later I get a bill for them putting the Aluminum cap on. (they charged me $165, I have quotes for getting this done for $45).

Can they charge me, even though they came out for a warrantee call? The workers never told me I would be charged, if they had there is no way I would pay 165 for something that can be done (and will have to be re-done, since they used the wrong color aluminum) for 45.

What do I do with this invoice?

I think they just sent me this invoice so I would not go after them for the damage to the kitchen (but the insurance paid for that)
Comments?

JETX

Mark_in_PA said:
Can they charge me, even though they came out for a warrantee call?
If it was in fact NOT a warranted item, yes. It was incumbent on YOU to confirm that it would be... or what the cost would be if it was not.

What do I do with this invoice?
Pretty simple. Pay it. If you don't, you will very likely have a lien filed against your house and end up paying far more.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">