• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do you have 3 days to change your mind on ANY contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

isis297

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I just signed a new contract with Sprint and am already second guessing my decision. I am waiting to get the contract emailed to me as they said it would be, but I was wondering if the 3 days to change your mind applies to companies like Sprint?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I just signed a new contract with Sprint and am already second guessing my decision. I am waiting to get the contract emailed to me as they said it would be, but I was wondering if the 3 days to change your mind applies to companies like Sprint?
Are you an adult? Are you sane? If you answer yes, then NO.

adjusterjack

Here's some information about the federal rules regarding a "cooling off period."

It's just a summary. I have no idea if it applies to you.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0176-buyers-remorse-when-ftcs-cooling-rule-may-help

isis297

Ohiogal, I'm not sure why you felt the need to respond to me that way. I was asking an honest question as I know there are sometimes grace periods after signing some contracts so to speak. Just so you know, there actually IS a grace period with Sprint. On my receipt that was finally emailed to me, it says I have 7 days without penalty to return the phone. A representative told me I actually have 14 days, but I would have gone by the receipt obviously since it was in writing.

Thanks AdjusterJack for the link info.

Thank you both for the time you put into this forum.

quincy

Ohiogal, I'm not sure why you felt the need to respond to me that way ...
I believe that Ohiogal was giving you two of a few reasons why a contract can be cancelled without penalty.

Although as a general rule, if you sign a contract you are legally bound by its terms, this is not the case if you do not have the capacity to form a contract (e.g., if you are a minor; if you are mentally ill; if you are intoxicated; if you are under guardianship). Ohiogal apparently did not think you were under guardianship and she gave you the benefit of the doubt by thinking you were not intoxicated when you signed on with Sprint. ;)

There are, as a note, other conditions that can make a contract unenforceable or voidable.

It is nice that Sprint has a 7 to 14 day grace period for rescinding a contract with them. Not all companies are so generous.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">