• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Doctor's office not honoring promise of no charge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Angi C H

GEORGIA

My primary care physician performed a pap smear/annual exam on me in July before I was set to have surgery on Aug. 6 (performed by another surgeon, but that's beside the point). I received a note card in the mail dated Aug. 7 that said (quote) "Your PAP smear did not have enough cells to interpret the slide. When you get over your surgery, come in in a few months and we will repeat at no additional charge."

I went this morning. That doctor has since left the practice (I had no idea she was leaving until she was gone) and the retest was done by the nurse practicioner in the office. I mentioned to her that since the surgery, I can't swallow big pills like the Claritin the previous doc from that office had prescribed. She said it comes in liquid form, and she would give me a new prescription for it. I also asked for her to prescribe Ortho TryCyclen birth control pills, and she said that since she had just done the new pap, she could do that. Now, they are trying to charge me $130 for the visit. $60 or the office visit, and $70 for the pap test.

The note stating they'd do it for free is on stationery bearing the name of the practice. Are they not obligated to honor the "no charge" promise?

JETX

Nice story, but you forgot the most important part. What, praytell, did the office say when you showed them the 'no charge' note????

A

Angi C H

RE: what did doctor's office say when I showed them the note...

since they knew it was a retest because of not doing it right the first time, I didn't take the note with me. I did tell them I had it and would bring it to them, but didn't get a taker on that. I just want to know if I have any grounds for fighting this $130 charge, and if having that note acts as any kind of contract that they would have to honor.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Yes, you do. Make a clean copy of the "No Charge" note. Write a letter of explanation, concluding that you're not paying the bill. Make copy of their bill. Make copies for yourself. Send all to them.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">