• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

documents lost in mail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

susan2036

What is the name of your state? Texas
I purchased a new Infiniti from a very large dealership in Oklahoma. However when I received the papers in the mail, it was for another person's purchase. I sent the papers back to the dealership the very next day. However the person who received my papers has not done the same. My salesman keeps saying his wife was suppost to handle it but she has not. Now this has been going on for two weeks. On Friday the 13 my paper tag expires. The salesman told me on the phone they would pay any pentalities I incure. I don't want to be stuck with pentalities and am willing to return the car if I have the right to. Ok doesn't have sales taxes but I will be paying them in Texas when I get my car tags. The tax is 6.5 on a 30,000 car and I understand the penatly is around 20% of that. Plus the penality on the tags. The dealer said he would send copies of the original papers and that should work. He said that 1 week ago but still no papers. Back in my mind I just wonder if I will have trouble selling the car without the proper papers. I paid half in cash and financed half thru the dealership. Then I wonder if the dealership will pay the pentalies. I have had the car almost 30 days now.

B

badtenant

I sent the papers back to the dealership the very next day........

Lets see you bought a CAR, yet you SENT back the paperwork.

I paid half in cash A. You have a reciept stating it was by cash you paid? right?

S

susan2036

I didn't pay cash( I have my cancelled check). I put down a deposit with a check. The envelope mailed to me contained paperwork that a man had purchased a car there and the clerk put his paperwork in the envelope instead of mine. He received my papers to get his tags for his car. Funny thing is, I think he is a lawyer. But the lawyer told the dealership his wife was going to drop my paperwork in the mail but now 2 weeks have gone by and he nor his wife have done anything. The dealership promptly returned his paperwork. So he has what he needs and I have nothing except a paper tag on my car.

S

susan2036

O.K. I bought my brand new car May 14,2003. Now it is June 20 and still no paper work for me to get my tags and pay my taxes. What rights do I have? Should I threated them to bring the car back ? I purchased in there because they had the right color I wanted. But I can't get my tags as the first paper work was lost. They know they sent them to the wrong person and that person said they returned them to the dealer. What options do I have ?

JETX

First thing you need to do is to ignore 'badtenant'. He is the forum troll who continually astounds us with his legal ignorance and inane illogical posts.

Okay, at this point, you clearly need to start communicating with the management of the dealership. Contact the dealership and get the name and FAX number of the general manager. Also, get the same information for the dealership owner.

With that information, you need to sit down and write a very nice letter detailing the situation and tactfully demanding a resolution. Simply, tell them that they have THREE business days from receipt of the FAX to get the correct documents in your hands or that you will report their actions to the Oklahoma Motor Dealer Commission. Their website and contact information is located at:
http://www.oktax.state.ok.us/mvhome.html#General Motor Vehicle Information...

It doesn't matter one iota that they promise to pay any penalties you incur.... at least unless you get that in writing. I suggest that you contact the person who told you they would do that to FAX a statement to that affect to you. What do you want to be you never receive it??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">