• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does car repossesor have right to my credit report?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nance0604

What is the name of your state? Maryland.

Due to a series of financial setbacks, I had my vehicle repossessed on week ago (April 10). When I bought this vehicle, I had pledged another vehicle that did not have a lien on it. That vehicle is in Ohio with my son at college. I live in Maryland.

The man who came to repossess my vehicle asked about the other car. I said it was not here and I did not know exactly where it was, which is true. He left but that evening at 11:35 pm the tow truck pulled up outside. The phone rang and it was this guy saying, "we want the car." I again said, I don't have it.

Since then, this tow truck operator has called me over, and over, and over. I have repeatedly asked him to stop calling me. If I do not answer the phone, he calls back again and again. If I do answer, the asks for the car. If I say I do not have it, he says, "I may not get the car but I will get my money. Every time I call you I post a little more money to your account that you will have to pay before you retrieve your Jeep."

So tonight, he calls me again. I told him that by calling me incessently after I have repeatedly asked him to stop, he is in violation of the fair credit act. He said that the fair credit act does not apply to him because he is not looking for "money." I said that then, as a repossesor, he is not allowed to enter a garage or to break the peace, which he is doing by badgering me constantly. He then said, "You have the worst credit of anyone I have ever seen. You have two pages of judgements." I asked him why in the world he had my credit report and who had given it to him. He stated that it was public information.

It is not public information, is it? If he is not looking for money, then is he still entitled to my credit report? If the lender of the vehicle gave it to him, are they in violation of the fair credit act? Please help me. I cannot retrieve my vehicle for another two days and he is driving me crazy. The fact that he obtained or was given my credit report just makes me feel so much worse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">