• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does Comcast have to refund me for service I never used?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

erick295

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I moved on 9/19 and called Comcast on 9/21 to have my service moved. After fighting endlessly with them and never actually getting service at my new address, I finally gave up and canceled my account on 10/1. They picked up their equipment on 10/3. They didn't disconnected the service at my old address until 10/8, although I had asked for it to be moved on 9/21 and hadn't lived there since 9/19. I paid through 10/31.

I haven't lived somewhere with Comcast service since 9/19. They say they will only credit me for the period of 10/8-10/31, not 9/19-10/31. I took a stack of documents proving I had moved on 9/19 to a local office and they faxed them to the "finance department," which I cannot contact and I'm only halfway confident exists. I haven't heard anything since then and several calls have gotten me nowhere.

Since it seems they are not going to refund me anything at this point, I'm considering filing a lawsuit in small claims court. I assume they will probably settle, but what amount can I sue them for? If I can prove that I moved on 9/19 is that a legitimate enough reason to demand a refund for that period? If not does requesting the service to be moved on 9/21 mean I am owed for 9/21-10/31? I figure at the very least they owe me for 10/3-10/31 since I didn't even have a box or modem by that point.

Hot Topic

:eek:Your first sentence reads that you moved on 9/19 and called Comcast on 9/21 to have your service moved. You should have given Comcast at least a month's notice.

You're not entitled to a credit, and I suspect there's something somewhere in Comcast's billing that deals with the issue.

Don't count on Comcast paying you off to avoid going to court. People in the wrong are often unpleasantly surprised.

erick295

Yeah, well when I tried that they refused to schedule an installation because someone else was at my new address. They wouldn't let me request the move until I actually lived at the new place. Of course that doesn't make any sense but neither does anything else they've ever done to me.

How do you figure they don't owe me anything for the time after I canceled my service :confused:

corser95

You should be able to call and get a number for the dept that actually handles complaints against customer service. I have comcast and they do not require that you give a 30 day notice because some people do not even have a new address right away. For instance, my husband is military. When I moved to my current address, I didn't know what the address was until I moved into the house. Comcast should have to refund or credit the account for those charges. For future reference, try putting your account on hold as of the day or day before you move out of your house and get a confirmation (they should be able to email you a confirmation of account status change). Once you are ready for a transfer at your new address, then call to have the transfer made.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">