• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does this contract close all the loopholes for responsibility for damages?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vhinrich

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

I got into a minor fender bender where the other guy's light came off loose. Police were called but no police report was filed because it occurred on a private property. We decided that since the damage was around $200 bucks, we'd just work it out and not get the insurance companies involved because mine and possibly their premium rates would go up.

The problem is that these people are shady. They want a money order or cash for the damages (they refuse to accept check because it might bounce). I'm afraid that after receiving the cash or money order from me, they might make a claim to insurance company to get more money.

Does the below agreement close all the loopholes for them to try to get more money out of me? I want to close all the possibility of them making a claim to my insurance company, for any further damages to the car, and for having any medical/non-medical/bodily injury related problems later on (even though it was parked car and I was just backing out at 4-5 mph)?

Also, if they do sue me or make a claim, would this agreement hold up in court? If they do file a claim with my insurance company, can I present them with this contract and put the claim to rest?

Here's the agreement (note: I copied it from one of the other threads on this site):

Release of Accident Claims

The undersigned _________________________________ (“Releasor”) does hereby, for Releasor and Releasor’s heirs, executors, administrators, and personal representatives, release and forever discharge _________________________________ (“Releasee”) and Releasee’s agents, insurance companies, servants, successors, heirs, executors, administrators, and personal representatives, from all actions, any and all manner of claims, demands for or by reason of any damage, causes of action or suits, including but not limited to claims and suits for bodily injuries that Releasor had, might now have or that might subsequently accrue to Releasor by reason of, or in any way directly or indirectly, connected with, or arising out of the accident occurring on or about ___________________________ (date of accident) at ________________________________________…
______________________________________… (location of accident) between the following two vehicles:

Vehicle #1 (Releasor’s vehicle)
Year________ Make_____________ Model_____________ VIN #__________________________
Vehicle #2 (Releasee’s vehicle)
Year________ Make_____________ Model_____________ VIN #__________________________

For the same consideration, the Releasor further agrees not to make any claims or undertake any proceedings against the Releasee or any other person or entity which may claim contribution or indemnity under the provisions of any statute or otherwise.

The Releasor agrees to take full financial responsibility for any and all repairs of damages to only Releasor’s vehicle and/or Releasor’s personal property caused by the accident stated herewith.

Furthermore, the Releasor declares that he/she has not engaged into any actions, claims, demands, causes of action or suits, including but not limited to claims and suits for bodily injuries related to the aforementioned accident preceding the execution of this Release of Accident Claims.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF the Releasor has executed this Release on ___________________________
(handwritten date by Releasor)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">