• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does a contract need to be notarized??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cjmontes

What is the name of your state? Arizona
Im loaning money to a friend and we are putting it in writing, but does it need to be notarized in order to be accepted in court??? the amount of the loan is 1000.

H

hexeliebe

No, it does not have to be notarized.

But it's still a good idea.

C

CaliCat

Hex took the words out of my mouth.

If you skip the notary, have at least two witnesses sign it who will not benefit from it and are in neutral position. Maybe a boss and coworker?

Good for you for being smart enough to put it in writing.

mitchelt

You should only loan an amount of money you can live without, because there is a good chance you will never see it again.

Loaning money to friends and family will USUALLY cause problems.

racer72

If both parties involved in the contract are present at the signing, having the contract notarized adds nothing to the contract. All a notary stamp does is verify that the persons that signed the contract are actually the folks whose names are on the contract. It's the same with witnesses. If there are no outside or third parties involved, you do not need a notary.

J

JC0

Loan to friend who passed away

Any advice on this awkward situation?

I loaned money to a friend.
He signed an agreement.
He paid only a few small amounts over a number of years.
He planned to sell his house and pay in full.
He recently passed away.

I know some of his family, but not close.

should I consult a lawyer to handle this?
I would like to talk to someone in the family first to let them know, although it will be awkward!

How long should I wait?

I would appreciate any advice.

racer72

JCO, please start your own thread instead of piggybacking on someone elses. It it very confusing and no one know what you are talking about.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">