• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does Contractor Selling Me Cabinets Void Warranty?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

petterabbott

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I(A) purchased a new kitchen from a Contractor(B) 3 years ago. The Contractor(B) purchased them from a Supplier(C) who in turn had purchased them from the manufacturer(D).

When I purchased them, I was told that there was a limited lifetime warranty on the cabinets that included labor to replace cabinets. The Supplier(C) Has this warranty posted on their website. It is their(C) warranty not the manufacturer's(D) warranty. I suppose they sub out to their factory(D) their cabinet manufacturing. The Contractor(B) has sent me to the Supplier (C) for my warranty claim.

The supplier(C) has taken this Position: We(C) sold cabinets to Contractor(B) The Contractor(B) is the "original purchaser" not me(A) and the warranty is "not transferable" therefore they(C) have no warranty obligation to me(A). They(C) do acknowledge that the manufacturer(D) warranty probably still covers me.

The manufacturer(D) had a limited lifetime warranty that does NOT cover labor and are willing to supply the parts I need. They(D) also "original purchaser" and "not transferable" in their warranty.

So, am I the original purchaser or not? If I am then the Supplier(C) should pay for the labor to install the parts. Who is right? Which Warranty is Valid? Where do I stand in this situation? I've looked everywhere and can't find anything like this anywhere. Please help.

Thank You

Also, the Contractor(B) had given the Supplier(C) my home address for the delivery which they made to my home address.

Last edited:

tranquility

From the title and a quick glance at the facts, I knew the question. Reading the facts in detail was hard because of the use of "()"'s. I'm not sure you are keen on the reason why such designations are used. Just saying.

It would have been far cleaner and easier as to if you bought the cabinets. The supplier could file a lien if you hadn't paid and everyone would know their rights and responsibilities. Your facts indicate something a bit different and the reason for the question. Let me start by saying I don't know the answer. I suspect, with some work, I might. I would operate from the thought you deserve the warranty. Since warranty's of this type are fully contractual, no one can really tell. Even with all the facts, it gets down to what a judge might decide.

Something to consider is what the installer represented. If he said you got the warranty from the manufacturer, and you don't, he might be on the line for the warranty. Another thing to consider is that the contractor was you "agent" in the purchase of the cabinets. I think that is a winner. If you are truly concerned, I would send a certified with return receipt letter to the manufacturer saying the cabinets were installed and purchased by your agent.

Dave1952

Let's start over. You hired a contractor to redo the kitchen. The contractor sold you a set of cabinets, his labor, and various bits of hardware. In the end he gave you a lifetime warranty, both parts and labor. Why aren't you dealing with the contractor? It's his warranty, right?

petterabbott

there are 2 warranties

1 from the manufacturer (parts) and 1 from the wholesaler (parts and labor). The contractor only gave 1 yr warranty on what he did.

both warranties are to the "Original Purchaser" the wholesaler is saying that I'm not the original purchaser since I purchased them form the contractor. They are saying that the contractor is the "Original Purchaser".

I'm saying that since the cabinets were delivered to my home and installed there, the contractor sold them to me for a profit, the contractor was in fact a dealer or retailer for the wholesaler and that I am due the benefit of the wholesaler (parts and labor) warranty

tranquility

there are 2 warranties

1 from the manufacturer (parts) and 1 from the wholesaler (parts and labor). The contractor only gave 1 yr warranty on what he did.

both warranties are to the "Original Purchaser" the wholesaler is saying that I'm not the original purchaser since I purchased them form the contractor. They are saying that the contractor is the "Original Purchaser".

I'm saying that since the cabinets were delivered to my home and installed there, the contractor sold them to me for a profit, the contractor was in fact a dealer or retailer for the wholesaler and that I am due the benefit of the wholesaler (parts and labor) warranty
No, you're saying you had the contractor act as your agent to purchase the cabinets for you. That's your argument.

Dave1952

So far you have not explained why the contractor is an agent for anybody. He could be working for himself. Many contractors do. If that's the case then you have a 1 yr warranty.
I must say that I'm puzzled by the wholesaler having a warranty since he doesn't sell to the final owner but to a contractor. Who told you that there was a lifetime warranty on the cabinets? Why would the contractor offer a 1 yr warranty on something that is covered by a lifetime warranty? It may help to read all of the warranties.
Anyway, I think you should call the contractor and have him explain what warranties he will honor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">