• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dog Breeder Guarantee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kdubs1121

What is the name of your state? CA

Hi,
I recently bought two puppies that came with a 7 day health and genetic defect guarantee. The contract I signed, however, does not specifiy the terms of the guarantee (exchange, refund, etc.), and it only says that the health of the dogs are "guaranteed." I took them to the vet today and they have a disease (demodectic mange) caused by a low immune system disorder that could be hereditary--it's not possible to tell until the disease gets very bad and untreatable. I contacted the breeder, and she is very very reluctant to acknowledge that they even have a disease, and is saying that maybe she'll pay for the vet bills. This disease is sometimes fatal, and I simply wouldn't have bought the dogs if I knew they had it, even if vet bills would be covered.

Can I argue in a small claims court that "guarantee" means that if the "product" does not meet standards, I deserve a full refund?

ShyCat

Yes, but you can't keep the puppies. You may be able to negotiate some payment of vet bills, or a reduced price on the puppies, but no judge is going to let you keep the puppies *and* all of the money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">