• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dog killed another dog while being walked by hired dog walker

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mustang5Oh

South Carolina-

Recently me and my girlfriend have been working long hours and hired a dog walker to come take our dogs out while we are at work. This past week they came by and while taking our dog out, another person was out with their dog who off the leash and proceeded to attack my dogs. My dogs happen to be rather large and unfortunately killed the other dog. No police were called or anything. The owner of the other dog took full responsibility for the matter and wished for nothing to happen to us or our dogs. The dog walker who we found through a pet sitting company claimed she did all she could to prevent the fight from occurring. Well we are now being forced to either remove the dog from our apartment complex or move. Well we are not getting rid of a dog we've had for over 5 years who was just defending herself. So my question would be, is the dog walking company liable for the cost we will now have to occur from moving suddenly and being forced to cancel our holiday plans to visit family? The company is well known and say's they are "bonded and insured. Any help or advice with this matter would be greatly appreciated.

davew128

If the OTHER dog attacked, why are YOU being forced to move? And if in your opinion the other dog (and by extension its owner) was responsible, why on Earth would you think the dog walker has responsibility for your MOVING costs? I mean, not for nothing, but the other owner's dog was OFF its leash.

BL

So how did the Landlord/management get wind of this incident , if no police or animal control was call ( in turn deeming your dog as a dangerous one ), and the other's Loose dog's owner just wished nothing to happen to you or your dogs?

Does the complex otherwise allow more than one dog?

Does the complex allow Large dogs?

Do the dogs disturb neighbors? Any prior complaints?

What does the pet clause in your lease state about pets?

Last edited:

Mustang5Oh

A maintaince worker was outside during this so the apartment manager was notified. The lease states that if our dog gets into any altercation with another dog or person that it has to be removed immediately. The dogs are approved through the apartment we rent. And we have never had any complaints until this incident and now all the sudden ism being told I had a complaint against my dogs because they "barked" aggressively at a ladies dogs from our patio.

davew128

Personally, and this is opinion only, I'd force them to evict me and make their case in court. Speaking not only as someone who is inclined to defend myself anyway, but as an animal lover, this stance from them is asinine. By that standard, if similar language were applied to tenants as well as pets, you could be evicted if someone assaults and robs you in the same location. I'd like to see the landlord explain that before a judge. Seriously, an off leash pet attacks your LEASHED pet, and you're held responsible? It may be in the lease, but my gut tells me a judge would never enforce it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">